LIPSTICK PICKUPS?

Steadfastly

• Members

dimmypage, JoeBoy,

How do you guys like the lipstick HB's? Are they the GFS pups?

How do they sound and what sort of music do you play with them? Versatile or a one-trick pony?

Do they have the same dimensions as the uncovered HB's (bobbin width same as the lipstick cover)?

Sorry for all the questions but I have a Jagmaster that I'm considering for a pup change and I think it would pop right in. As you can see below, a covered HB wouldn't fit without some pickguard modification (which I want to avoid).

CIMG6259.jpg

• Members

dimmypage, JoeBoy,

How do you guys like the lipstick HB's? Are they the GFS pups?

How do they sound and what sort of music do you play with them? Versatile or a one-trick pony?

Do they have the same dimensions as the uncovered HB's (bobbin width same as the lipstick cover)?

Sorry for all the questions but I have a Jagmaster that I'm considering for a pup change and I think it would pop right in. As you can see below, a covered HB wouldn't fit without some pickguard modification (which I want to avoid).

CIMG6259.jpg

I had a set of GFS lipstick buckers in my Jagmaster before I sold it. They sounded great. I tried 4-5 sets of pups in that guitar before sticking the lipstick buckers in.

• Members

How do they sound in comparison to other types of p/u's?

Traditional lipsticks are low output, they have both a bright, jangle-twang side to them but are also "lo-fi" enough for a really good blues or slide tone.

I would say they are most comparable to things like Grestch single coils, old Teisco pickups, etc. They are not the round, bell-like, full-bodies tone of a Fender SC.

• Members

Traditional lipsticks are low output, they have both a bright, jangle-twang side to them but are also "lo-fi" enough for a really good blues or slide tone.

I would say they are most comparable to things like Grestch single coils, old Teisco pickups, etc. They are
not
the round, bell-like, full-bodies tone of a Fender SC.

Wyatt: Thanks for the response. How do you think they would compare to the twin humbuckers on my hollow body Ibanez? Thanks.

• Members

Wyatt: Thanks for the response. How do you think they would compare to the twin humbuckers on my hollow body Ibanez? Thanks.

Don't know the lipstick HB's are a creation of the modern era. I think Charvel or Jackson first did that with the surfcaster. My experience is limited to the original single coils.

• Members

I really, really, really beg to differ with this part of your comment. I find them to possess much more chime and bell-like qualities than Fender single coils, at least in the neck.

That's not what Danos are famous for. They are famous for lo-fi bluesy and rockabilly twang and jangle...like a budget Grestch, not a bell-like tone (most bell-like tone I've ever heard is the Fender CS '54. But I can only comment on the original lipsticks wound in Nat Daniels era, I've only played the RI's in store (and not in years).

• Members

That's not what Danos are famous for. They are famous for lo-fi bluesy and rockabilly twang and jangle...like a budget Grestch, not a bell-like tone (most bell-like tone I've ever heard is the Fender CS '54. But I can only comment on the original lipsticks wound in Nat Daniels era, I've only played the RI's in store (and not in years).

Yeah, I can only speak from owning a RI. And I did an A/B with my Dano and a '57 Hot Rod Stratocaster that I purchased at the same time. The Stratocaster was returned because the Dano sounded more like a Strat than the Strat did. :freak:

Maybe our ears are just different?

• Members

has anyone tried both vintage and reissue pickups?

My re-issue sounds different enough to my Yamaha strat style guitar, actually I find it easier to hear the different on slighly overdriven tones. I don't know whether it's worth a pickup swap to get some more vintage sounding tones, or stick to the RI ones.

The RI ones are very jangly and bright.

Contruction-wise it's quite different to normal single coils.

• Members

It is called what it's called partly because it looks like an old-fashioned tube of lipstick. But, also, because it ATTRACTS lipstick.

It's actually called what it is not because they look like lipstick tubes, but because they ARE lipstick tubes. They put the electronics right inside old lipstick tubes that they bought from cosmetic manufacturers.

MoreYouKnow.jpg

• Members

Yeah, I can only speak from owning a RI. And I did an A/B with my Dano and a '57 Hot Rod Stratocaster that I purchased at the same time. The Stratocaster was returned because the Dano sounded more like a Strat than the Strat did.
:freak:

Maybe our ears are just different?

Could be the guitar construction as well. The ones I've played have all had decades to loosen up (they are hollow) and had the funky bridge. But, before Dano reorganize a couple of years ago they were offering a more vintage (as well as a hotter) aftermarket PU compared to their OEM stock one.

I think the PU supplier to Dano is Kent Armstrong (son of Dan Armstrong) who learned the lipstick from Bill Lawrence. Kent is considered the expert on lipstick PUs. But neither Dan, Kent nor Bill actually worked for Danelectro in it's heyday but worked to put out unbranded Danos post '69 when Dan Armstrong got a huge supply of unused bodies and necks when MCA folded the company.

• Members

I have a lipstick pickup on my Fender Telecaster. It is called what it's called partly because it looks like an old-fashioned tube of lipstick. But, also, because it ATTRACTS lipstick.

Tele neck PU's and Dano lipstick PU's aren't the same, they aren't made the same, they don't really sound the same. Both are great.

songsfor bears is right, real Dano pickups used real lipstick covers as crude (or is it refined) shielding.

Dano ...

JERRY-JONES-LIPSTICK-PICKUP-B-1.jpg

Tele...

katnpu.jpg

• Members

An FWIW - I called a local guy who has a machine that flips the polarity of a pickups magnet. I have a couple of Dano's that I want to humbuck. He said he's had some problems with Dano's recently and believes they've switched to neodymium magnets, which don't like having their polarity screwed with. Not sure which re-issues he's talking about, or if he's blowing out his hat, just thought this would be an appropriate place to toss this tidbit out.

Archived