Need strat wiring help ASAP.....

streetknight

• Members

I have an 03' MIA Standard Strat. I've had hot rails in it for a while and wanted singles back in it. I bought all the parts and wired me up another pickguard with all new electronics.

Just finished it up and restrung it. Hooked it up to the amp and she only plays when the volume is all the way up. The pup selector and both tone knobs are working correctly. Just the Volume giving me trouble. I had another guard to go by, so I'm sure all is wired correctly.

I did have to un solder the white wire that went to the middle terminal of the volume pot and the 3 black ground wires from the back of the tone pot.

I slipped the white wire thru the new volume pot and soldered it up and soldered all 3 black wires to the back of a tone pot.

When I roll off the volume it starts to crackle and till about 7, below that nothing comes thru the amp.

Could I have a bad connection, bad pot, or what?

Very frustrating.

Also, I just used my last strings, If I need to take the guard off, can I get it off by just loosening the strings or do I have to use a new set.

TIA

• Members

Also, I just used my last strings, If I need to take the guard off, can I get it off by just loosening the strings or do I have to use a new set.

TIA

The guitar tech method is to loosen the strings, then clamp with a capo near the nut to keep them in place and out of the way.

As for the electronics, you description of the pot sound makes me think the pot may be bad. If you had a multimeter, you could remove it and check. If you don't, you have to guess.

• Members

Uh, nice shooting, Mr. Magoo.
mrmagoo.jpg

What I can see looks right, though I personally would have terminated all grounds on the back of the Volume pot, just to avoid any potential ground loop (which results in hum, not a faulty Vol sweep), but that shouldn't be the problem.

What I wouldn't be able to spot, maybe not even in a good photo is what is called a cold solder joint. These can look fine and solid, but are the result of someone heating up the solder and not the part being soldered.

• Members

Thanks for the replies guys and sorry for the crappy pics. Unfortunately I just discovered that my wiring wasn't the problem.

I just got back from my kids ball game and checked everything. All looked good, but I re soldered a couple connections just in case. Hooked it up to my Kid's Micro Cube and she worked fine.

Took it into my play room, hooked it into my AD30VT and same crap. Changed cables and everything. Finally grabbed another guitar and rolling the guitar's volume down did the same with a different guitar. Must be the damn amp.

Figures my luck :mad:

Archived