What scale(s) did you master after the pentatonic minor?

Armchair Bronco

• Members

The title pretty much says it all.

I've tried to learn lots of different scales, but the pentatonic minor scale is the only one that I can play forwards, backwards, sideways and upside down in my sleep and use as the basis for solos.

What was the next scale that you mastered?

• Members

Major, minor. Now I don't really think in terms of scales or where I am on the fret board. It just sort of happens.

Well, then you need to think WAY, WAY back to when you had been playing for less than a year or two.

At some point, all of us have had to learn scales. I'm just trying to figure out what to master next. There are lots of bizarre scales to choose from.

• Members

Major, minor. Now I don't really think in terms of scales or where I am on the fret board. It just sort of happens.

I'm like that when I'm noodling around.

I try to incorporate diminished, chromatic, arpeggios or parts of etc.

It really stretches the ear (sounds like {censored}), but it makes for interesting sounds and I even come up with some usable licks-that I forget.

• Members

I'm like that when I'm noodling around.

I try to incorporate diminished, chromatic, arpeggios or parts of etc.

It really stretches the ear (sounds like {censored}), but it makes for interesting sounds and I even come up with some usable licks-that I forget.

Sounds like you're a perfect candidate for buying a BOSS RC-2 loop station. Someone said it's like his little musical notepad for jotting down cool riffs and licks.

• Members

Sounds like you're a perfect candidate for buying a BOSS RC-2 loop station. Someone said it's like his little musical notepad for jotting down cool riffs and licks.

I should, but I bought a modeler...which I'm not using bc I can't get around to plugging my 'lectric in.

I'm hoping that will change once I get my house rearranged and the BH5H stack shows up.

• Members

Every so often I play around with the equal spaced scales
The patterns on the fretboard are pretty easy to remember

All whole steps: B C# D# F G A B etc.

All minor thirds: B D F G# B etc.

All major thirds: C E G# C etc.

All sound weird because they have no clear start or end point since they lack the asymmetry of the usual natural major, minor, pentatonic, harmonic minor, etc. but interesting for some tension.

The sound a bit like the sounds from those first BASIC programs on Apple IIe computers from 1980s highschool "programming" classes.

• Members

What scale(s) did you master after the pentatonic minor?

You mean there's another scale?

You wouldn't know it by listening to 90% of barroom guitarists (that would include me, by the way).

I have been forcing myself to play different scales lately while I am practicing, but when I'm playing live and a guitar break comes around, I resort back to what I know best most of the time.

Armchair Bronco is right. The Loop Station is perfect for learning new scales and techniques. I like to record a simple 4/4 beat with a single chord (E7, for example) at 120 BPM. Then I spend an hour or two soloing over that single chord with the sole intention of making it interesting.

• Members

Major.

But I haven't "mastered" anything.

Agreeing with DocJeff. 9 times out of 10 I use the pentatonic scale with some major scale and chromatic notes thrown in.

Unless I play jazz. Then I use the major scale with chromatic notes thrown in.

So learn the major scale next.

• Members

The title pretty much says it all.

I've tried to learn lots of different scales, but the pentatonic minor scale is the only one that I can play forwards, backwards, sideways and upside down in my sleep and use as the basis for solos.

What was the next scale that you mastered?

The next three forms of Pent. m (including 1 form of the "blues" Pent.), then Pent. M, then M (I'm up to 3 of those), 2 m scale forms...

...only to realize most jazz guys outline chords with their improv most of the time, rather than using a scale form.

Here's how it works: learn your chords + extensions, then run up the form of the chord (i.e. GM would be E (3), A (3-5), D (3-5), G (3-4), B (3), e (3)). This can lead to some really cool runs as you move form one chord to another (use GM (fret 3)- am7 (fret 5)- D7 (fret 5) - GM (open) to start with).

Then learn your modes...

Archived