Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What scale(s) did you master after the pentatonic minor?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other scales??

"You won't like me when I'm angry because I back up my rage with facts and documented sources" ~ The Credible Hulk

Comment

Pentatonic major. I recall it being a real eye opener realizing I could use major pentatonic in places I had been using minor pentatonic before.
      "Born to Play" MP3 album at iTunes & Amazon.

Comment

I learned Majors and natural minors first. Pents came later.
        "Life ain't what you make it,
        sometimes life makes you
        sometimes easier to fake it
        in everything you do.
        I'm a low-performance man
        in a high-performance world"
        -"Mediocre Man"

"Whatever happened to
        Honest smiles, Friendly skies
        Good times, happy highs
        Starry nights, easy lives
        Open eyes and open minds"

-"Friendly Skies"

Comment

The Bathroom scale
          If only I was all thumbs

Comment

I know only the major scale, but the pattern is the same of the minor and all the modes also.
            "I hate it when I see people using techniques just for the sake of showing off. To me, that's got to be the worst thing a musician can do." Joe Satriani

Comment

I just learned the extra notes that made a pentatonic minor scale turn into a major scale. Then I just fit the extra notes into solos.
              "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

My teacher (GenNation on this site) really pounded the dorian into me. I think it's also called harmonic minor
                an expert on what it feels like to be me
                & you are who you google
                http://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1

Comment

The harmonic minor is a great scale to know, you can flow into it when in a minor scale to add that extra zing to a solo.

Comment

the blues scale... it's just one more note than pentatonic

and that's all the scales I know.
                    My Original Music:
                    Goetic Circle
                    Ashes of the Magician
                    UNDEAD PRIEST
                    In the Name of Majestic Hellfire

Comment

The title pretty much says it all.

I've tried to learn lots of different scales, but the pentatonic minor scale is the only one that I can play forwards, backwards, sideways and upside down in my sleep and use as the basis for solos.

What was the next scale that you mastered?
                      The next three forms of Pent. m (including 1 form of the "blues" Pent.), then Pent. M, then M (I'm up to 3 of those), 2 m scale forms...

...only to realize most jazz guys outline chords with their improv most of the time, rather than using a scale form.

Here's how it works: learn your chords + extensions, then run up the form of the chord (i.e. GM would be E (3), A (3-5), D (3-5), G (3-4), B (3), e (3)). This can lead to some really cool runs as you move form one chord to another (use GM (fret 3)- am7 (fret 5)- D7 (fret 5) - GM (open) to start with).

Then learn your modes...
                      The least comfortable questions lead to the most important answers.

Comment

whats a scale????????????????????
                        good trades with: gravyK, frankiej, Richard Coibion a.k.a monsterpiece guy!, petersenb9, q-4000, jfarabee, twisty571, mvolta84, XMahkaihX, vangkm, mazi bee, and yet again twisty571

good deals with: bisticles, thesense, danhauk, thesense again, truthis123, alexmack, shred4life, kojdogg, mvolta84, oxide, session, Martini908, jds22, estaban22, teleman, made of cones

Comment

whats a scale????????????????????

Yeah.

Comment

Other scales??

+1 !!!
                            gUiTaR sPaZ

"...pursuing my quest for the elusive "Talent Booster" pedal..."

http://www.myspace.com/guitarspaz2002

Comment

The title pretty much says it all.

I've tried to learn lots of different scales, but the pentatonic minor scale is the only one that I can play forwards, backwards, sideways and upside down in my sleep and use as the basis for solos.

What was the next scale that you mastered?

dO you have a genre that you like , for****************s n giggles give us a specific song or two and we will throw out awesome scales that will fit........

Comment

Blues scale is dead easy after pentatonic minor. Then straight minor and major for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X