I think I'm still on my Pickup search....

Faldoe

• Members

So I have a Gibson 79 LP custom. I replaced the stock pups with GFS FAT PAFs, they sound good but almost kind of muddled when using distortion.

What are some good humbuckers you could suggest to me? I have Bill Lawrence L-500L pups in my SG and other LP, pretty nice but I'd like to see what else is out there...

I play shoegaze, post-rock, rock, doomy, post metal, indie stuff, just to give you an idea of what sounds I like.

Thank you.

• Members

I very much like the Tonerider AC4 in the bridge of my Gibson. i play rock,classic rock and blues, mainly. I also love the Gibson 490r in the neck pos.

There are sound files linked off in my signature, not the best playing, but the top file is fair. Check out their website soundclips, for their pickups linked off this page http://www.tonerider.com/hb_main.shtml .

Excellent value.

• Members

DUDE. I know they get alot of love around here, but seriously, a gfs in a vintage LP? A LP CUSTOM no less.

BB pro,s sound great in an LP, or secondly, a DImarzio Super Distortion also sounds good in an LP. Both have the ability to completely breakup, but roll them back a bit and they're majick.

• Members

DUDE. I know they get alot of love around here, but seriously, a gfs in a vintage LP? A LP CUSTOM no less.

BB pro,s sound great in an LP, or secondly, a DImarzio Super Distortion also sounds good in an LP. Both have the ability to completely breakup, but roll them back a bit and they're majick.

Contrary to what is said on this forum. The 490r-498t set on the older customs is very good. They are hot though and as most hot pickups do, They'll muddy up a bit with high gain settings. Turn the vol down a lot on them and then crank the gain a bit. They'll be sure to please.

As soon as I hear the word "fat" ot "hot" in a pickup name, I steer clear.

• Members

3 words:

Don't do it.

Ask Norcal_gtr what he'd have that is suitable. Never yet heard a Duncan that I liked when I play through it.

Really? I love Seth Lovers. I guess they don't work well for extremely high gain stuff because they aren't wax potted...but I love them for everything else.

• Members

I'm about to pick up (ha ha) a set of Bare Knuckle Mules for my LP. I currently have a set of SD's -- 59 and JB -- and the JB is way too hot in the bridge for what I play -- classic rock and some alternative.

They're pricey but every clip I've heard and every review I've read have impressed the hell out of me.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

• Members

So you're saying thats no good?

• Members

Bump.

Just to make my search more specific. I pretty much only use my bridge pickup. I want something that is good clean and does overdrive/ high gain well.

Also my LP is downtuned to B f# b f# a# d#

Archived