Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does everyone hate maple necked Les Pauls?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of folks hate anything that isn't the spec first laid out. Same with Strats - far too many luddites hung up on the notion of if it isn't the 54 spec, it's "wrong." Tedious.
    MOTGLHC

"We're the 1% that don't fit in and don't care."

Malcom McLaren 1977

Comment

A lot of folks hate anything that isn't the spec first laid out. Same with Strats - far too many luddites hung up on the notion of if it isn't the 54 spec, it's "wrong." Tedious.

i think more people prefer the '57 spec(alder body).

Comment

That's beautiful man.

I'm not an LP guy... never have been. But that guitar makes me weep.

Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

Anyone ever seen a Maple Fingerboarded LP?

I've seen about five of them. Three on the same day at a guitar show in Dallas.

I've played two of them, one was black, one was natural.
          Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

I'm the opposite. You can keep anything with a painted rear, or mahogany. I'll take a maple neck LP any day! It's only an Epi, but I love my Zakk Wylde epi with maple neck.

Comment

A Les Paul with a maple neck and fretboard reminds me of the fat albino kid that I went to grammer school with. Nice kid, and he got good grades, but dang - he did look strange.
              My band "The Executives" website : TheExecutivesMusic.com

Comment

I've never seen in person a maple necked Les Paul. Let alone played one. I'm thinking I would love it though. Here's a design I wish Gibson would make some day:
                a Les Paul with a maple neck through mahogany body wings. No maple top. The neck and wings would be carved to the same specifications as the regular Les Pauls. Anyway I'm thinking it would be a crunch machine. With even more sustain than the regular ones. And it could come with your choice of Gibson, DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, or EMG pickups.

Comment

The early 70's saw the LP deluxes with pancake bodies, but no other model that I know of. I used to have a 74 Goldtop deluxe with pancake body. It was sweet and I don't think the interface between the two pieces of mahogany made any difference. My Custom has a multipiece maple top, but it is a one piece mahogany back.

I've played lots of standards and customs and I usually like the standards much more than the customs, but the custom I'm playing now is just great and I've never played a Paul that was any better. That's not to say that there are better LPs out there, but its hard for me to imagine them. My Custom is heavy, but its definitely not your typical boat anchor. Its about 9.5lbs.

Comment

blasphemy, i know.
                    but only $259
                    http://www.rondomusic.com/product1074.html

Lovely, but:

A. I can't stand the Agile headstock.
                    B. Would it have killed them to stain the fingerboard the same color as the body?
                    SPAM:
                    Dunlop DC Brick, Digitech JAMMAN Solo.

Comment

Lovely, but:

B. Would it have killed them to stain the fingerboard the same color as the body?

Uhh, that might look a bit BORING.

Comment

Uhh, that might look a bit BORING.

Yeah... the schizophrenic look is definitely for exciting people. Matching is for total idiots. Who matches? Screw them.
                        SPAM:
                        Dunlop DC Brick, Digitech JAMMAN Solo.

Comment

A Les Paul with a maple neck and fretboard reminds me of the fat albino kid that I went to grammer school with. Nice kid, and he got good grades, but dang - he did look strange.

This has a maple neck... doesn't look like a fat kid to me
                          I'm bad at being subtle but I ain't that tough...

Comment

This has a maple neck... doesn't look like a fat kid to me

That looks like a sexy chick who constantly begs to be taken from the rear
                            Thats a 70s Utter?
                            Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

Anyone ever seen a Maple Fingerboarded LP?

here's two from gbase:

Comment

Yeah... the schizophrenic look is definitely for exciting people. Matching is for total idiots. Who matches? Screw them.

Given that most guitars have fretboards that are a different color than the body, I don't find it odd or "schizophrenic"...

Comment

Working...
                                X