Strat: HSS and RWRP

wagdog

• Members

Greetings,

I'm thinking about new SC pups for my HSS HWY 1 ('05).

I don't know if the stock SC's are RWRP and I'm wondering if I bought a RWRP replacement set would that cause the middle/bridge(humbucker) to be out of phase (not what I want).

Does an RWRP wound middle pup matter when playing with a humbucker?

• Members

I would imagine they are RW/RP. The bridge/middle wouldn't sound radically different if you got a set that was RW/RP or not, but the neck/middle would sound different. Nothing wrong with doing research, but if you are replacing them you aren't 100% in love with the tone, right? I'd just go with what you think will sound best without regards to what is in there now.

• Members

The 05 middle is not RWRP, that was updated mid 06 when they changed to Alnico 3s. You should have the vintage pickups found in Classic 70s (I think). When you have it in neck/middle, its not hum cancelling and thats how you can tell. Putting in a new middle RWRP will then give you that a diff. between position sound and hum cancelling.

With wiring, checking with the Fender website in wiring section, I believe they have the updated vs original wiring scheme. If that does not work, just find any strat wiring scheme with RWRP and the Greasebucket circuit. I think the Greasebucket may have been introduced already for yours, but check. You can tell by adjusting the tone knob for the middle pickup position, if its always wide open, its a greasebucket.

• Members

Thanks for the input and assistance.

Yeah, I was pretty sure the mid pup wasn't rwrp. The guitar is sort of shielded from the factory in the cavity with paint and the ground is screwed into the body - point is, the guitar has been very quiet with respect to hum, so I really couldn't tell by the sound if the pup was rwrp 'cause there wasn't much hum to begin with.

Anyway, I had a set of bg-pups phattys (rwrp) in my mim strat. I've really been impressed with the sound of those pups. I was thinking of getting a set of bg-pups vintage 60's for the hwy 1... But, since I now have a hwy 1 strat and a 74 strat, my mim strat wasn't getting much play... so.... I took out the neck and mid pup from the mim strat and put 'em in the hwy 1.

Sounds really, really nice. It is funny how the same set of pups will sound different in a slightly different ax (both strats have tremolos too). Anyway, I think I'll go w/this configuration for a while and possibly get a set of gfs vintage pups for the mim strat to check them out.

Archived