Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Taylor/Martin acoustic guitar under $3,000 (Taylor / Martin)?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Taylor/Martin acoustic guitar under $3,000 (Taylor / Martin)?

Best Taylor/Martin acoustic guitar under $3,000 (Taylor / Martin). Size not matter. For recording use.

Any recommendations? Pics appreciated.
    Jeff Beck: "I don't get the guys who all want a very special guitar to create a unique sound. I get a way better kick out of making an unique sound with a guitar that has been around for 50 years"

Any Taylor sounds like it cost $3,000.

My $800 Taylor 110 sounds better than every single $2,000+ Gibson and Martin acoustics I've played. If you like the brilliance and piano-like bass tones of the Taylor brand, you can't go wrong with any of them. Even the 3/4 size Taylors sound much better than most Martin and Gibsons for me.

EDIT: Oops... lemme find a pic.

110:

Bad picture of a 414:
    SPAM:
    Dunlop DC Brick, Digitech JAMMAN Solo.

Comment

D28
      I'm bad at being subtle but I ain't that tough...

Comment

I like the HD-28. I like the Clapton 00-28. I own a custom shop model based on the Clapton.

As far as Taylors go, if I wanted a bolt on neck guitar with a poly finish I'd choose a strat instead of a Taylor.

Comment

My favorite Taylors are the "14" series

My favorite Martin is the J-40
          "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

CF Martin D18 or D28 - the higher the number the more ornamentation, but little/no improvement in tone (Unless moving between rosewood or mahogany body materials). I certainly like Taylor guitars, but prefer Martin for their versatility and ability to add a little more punch to the mix. Martin's D16 is a pretty sweet sounding guit too.

I'd honestly recommend trying both and any other brands within the same price bracket alongside one another and chose between the ones you prefer on a personal basis. One man's medicine could prove another man's poison.
            IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.

Comment

Best Taylor/Martin acoustic guitar under $3,000 (Taylor / Martin). Size not matter. For recording use.

Any recommendations? Pics appreciated.

Ive got a Taylor 412, (paid $1500) it is worth every penny.
              http://www.reverbnation.com/davidandthetinydaggers
              http://www.guitarfugue.com/
              http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=913992
              http://www.myspace.com/davidandthetinydaggers

member of the G&L Militia

Comment

From you guys' experience, what are the major difference between Taylor and Martin?
                Jeff Beck: "I don't get the guys who all want a very special guitar to create a unique sound. I get a way better kick out of making an unique sound with a guitar that has been around for 50 years"

Comment

Get a Gibson J45. Better than either Martin or Taylor. Although they have to open up a little first.
                  Originally Posted by Darl Bundren

Sometimes Lego Star Wars is so much like the real world it's eerie.

Comment

From you guys' experience, what are the major difference between Taylor and Martin?
                    Taylors I've played have been easier to play. Lower action, better necks. They've sounded better, too. I'm not sure if Martins need more time to open up or what...

If you're looking in the ~$1k-1500 range, you might want to look into the Seagull Artist line. In my experience, there's very little setup from the factory (i had to shave 1/8" off my bridge), but once they're set up, they're fantastic. The wood selection and finish on Seagull Artists are just top-notch.

Breedloves are pretty stinkin' awesome, too.

Above $2500 I'd start looking into Huss and Dalton.
                    Good NewsSPAMPpP

Comment

A Martin has that classic tone. If there's a word I would use to describe it, it's 'elegant.' It's very warm, a fair amount of low mids, it just sounds so perfect. I was playing at a folk festival, and they had a songwriter-in-the-round section. One of the songwriters had a D-41, and every time she strummed a chord, my head snapped around. It just sounds so perfect.

Taylors are a lot more aggressive than Martins, IMO. A lot more bass and treble, with a midrange scoop. Great if you want to carve through a crowded mix, or make your solo stand out. Not as good as a Martin or Gibson for the solo singer/songwriter thing, but Gibson's quality control is ****************. One guitar has that classic tone, and the next is good only for firewood.

I would also recommend a Larriv
                      Originally Posted by Warren Buffett

“There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

Member of the Hamer Squad

Founder of the Danelectro Horde

Third Cousin of The Orange-y Family

Good dealings with: GreatDane, Norcal_GIT_r (x2), solly, puckman, rydia is hot, 98 les paul, JerEvil

MY GUITARS

Comment

This is actually a topic that is near and dear to my heart. I've played Martin acoustics since 1970. My first one was a D18, and after two sets of frets and three neck resets it sounds like heaven.

For recording, I use a 00016CRGTE. I bought it for a play that I did for my university in 2001.

If I would have had $3000 at the time, I would have bought the Eric Clapton version, but I'm really happy with what I got. It's great for recording and performing. My D-18 sounds great too, but it has a stout bottom end that can get boomy through my microphones.

Martins have a more balanced sound with a signature midrange that I've always loved (listen to Neil Young's After the Gold Rush or anything acoustic by Stephen Stills).

Taylors have, as someone mentioned already, a slightly scooped sound with a tinkly top end. A lot of people like the sound, especially female singer songwriters like Sara McGlaughlin.

I wouldn't rule out Gibson either. The sound is drier than Martin or Taylor. Check out anything acoustic by Pete Townshend for a sample.

For $3000, I'd also check Collings and Santa Cruz.

Comment

That is tough, they both make outstanding guitars. Differences will vary from model to model, so I'd say to play as many as possible until you find one you like. I settled on my 412 because of its playability and tone - I was looking for very low action and almost electric-like feel without sacrificing tone. The 412 fit my needs well.
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/davidandthetinydaggers
                          http://www.guitarfugue.com/
                          http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=913992
                          http://www.myspace.com/davidandthetinydaggers

member of the G&L Militia

Comment

My personal input would be that the Martin is more of a "classic" acoustic sound. Much "fuller" than a Taylor, but I just find them muddy.

The Taylor guitar is usually known for its brilliance and piano-like bass notes. Taylor also makes what many see as the best necks in the guitar business, acoustic and electric. Some may describe them as bolt-on, but you would never, ever, ever, ever know this if you played one without being informed of the fact first.
                            SPAM:
                            Dunlop DC Brick, Digitech JAMMAN Solo.

Comment

I have a Taylor and a Martin. I paid $700 for the Taylor and (a bit) more than $3k for the Martin. I have a nice handmade acoustic dred as well.

The Taylor is a good guitar, but not a great one. It plays well and in tune. I prefer the other two, and if I had a criticism, it would be that it has no "soul".

The Martin on the other hand is what I think of as an acoustic guitar. The sound is what I have in my mind that I should hear, something the other dread - despite being very good - does not have.

The Martin is not as easy to play, even though it plays well. I can even do things on it that I can't on others (it's the 1.75" nut). But it is very powerful - not at all polite. BTW - it's a D-28 Marquis, $2900 if you skip the burst.

In the end, when dropping so much scratch, the best thing is to play a lot of guitars and let the right one find you.

For Bears - Piano bass notes aren't the exclusive province of Taylors, maybe you just haven't played the right Martins.

BTW - My vote for best recording guitar under $3k would be a Martin D-18GE (Hogs record better).

Comment

Working...
                              X