will guitar center set up my guitar?

goaway

• Members

I just bought a guitar from a local guitar store but they dont really have professional guitar techs. If I take it over to guitar center will they still set it up for me even though i didnt buy it there?

• Members

No. They will send it to somebody to work on or at least that is what they told me several years ago.

I think some of them have techs now. I know mine does. GC is putting alot of smaller shops out of business, the techs gotta work somewhere.:idk:

• Members

I just bought a guitar from a local guitar store but they dont really have professional guitar techs. If I take it over to guitar center will they still set it up for me even though i didnt buy it there?

What kind of guitar is it? It should already be set up from the factory. If you mean by "professional guitar tech" some idiot kid that works at Guitar Center then yes take it there, they have those.

• Members

I just bought a Martin at my GC. They told me to pick out some strings. The guy told me THEY had to put them on, as their new policy would not allow them to just give away stuff anymore. I had to walk away as he was putting the new strings on. First, he cut all the old strings off at once (yikes) then, he restrung it in a way in which my brain could not compehend. I felt like I was watching someone do Chinese Algebra.

He also managed to tune the first string way to high, snapping it and hitting a nearby customer in the arm.

• Members

My local GC has a legit guitar tech with the certifications to prove it. That being said, The $75 I payed for the guitar set up has inspired me to purchase a few tools from StewMac and do it myself next time. It didn't seem like brain surgery when I watched him do it.

• Members

The real question is... would you want someone at GC to set up your guitar for you?

+100 and the winner is.........the above answer.

Seriously, it is hard enough to find a good tech and you surely don't want some unknown person touching your guitar - especially if it's an unknown person from GC. Find a good tech in your area!

• Members

When I go into the Long & McQuades at 16th & Arbutus here in Vancouver, BC, there is usually a brand new guitar on the counter somewhere getting set up. With intonation and height adjustment for the strings and usually when I pick up any guitar they have in stock, it's already set up. The sales people at L&M's are all experienced musicians it seems, and they know how to do these two little things at least. I can do it myself as well although I admit that I'm nervous when it comes to truss rod adjustments.

For intonation and string height adjustments,...I gotta ask,..."What's the big deal?" Every guitar player should know how to do these two little things, at least.

• Members

TRUE STORY: i recently bought a jekyll & hyde ultimate overdrive at GC. the sales kid wasn't sure what power source should come with it... he was like "they require a certain type of mA's... i dont remember what that stands for. do you know what it means?"

I reply yes, it means milli-ampere's or milli-amps, it's a unit of current

and he was like "Yeah, that's it!!!!"

I was like, ok then, maybe you shouldn't be telling people about guitar stuff.

so, is this the type of person you want adjusting your guitar?

• Members

My local GC has a legit guitar tech with the certifications to prove it. That being said, The $75 I payed for the guitar set up has inspired me to purchase a few tools from StewMac and do it myself next time. It didn't seem like brain surgery when I watched him do it.

In the long run it pays for itself. It also allows you to custom tailer your setups for your unique playing style.

• Members

You don't even have to order from Stewmac. Your local home improvement store like Revy, Rona, etc have the small screw drivers and the smaller individual allen keys you need to do whatever you have to do. They even have a huge assortment of wood and metal screws. It's a matter of finding the correct one's you need, though.

So I strap on my Strat with the kahler and go in and see what fits and then buy it. Simple!

• Members

You don't even have to order from Stewmac. Your local home improvement store like Revy, Rona, etc have the small screw drivers and the smaller individual allen keys you need to do whatever you have to do. They even have a huge assortment of wood and metal screws. It's a matter of finding the correct one's you need, though.

So I strap on my Strat with the kahler and go in and see what fits and then buy it. Simple!

I do recommend the 18" straight edge from stewmac. Its a great reference to check the frets and relief. I would also get a set of feeler guages. I found a set at harbor freight for $3 and it has more sizes than the stewmac. Its great for checking nut action and relief.

• Members

When I bought my Hot Rod Tele, the open low E had some buzz right out of the box, so I told the salesperson I'd like a setup before I left. Every string buzzed on most frets when I brought it home. :mad:

Instead of taking it anywhere for a setup, I just consulted Fender's website, which has setup guides for all their instruments. They aren't incredibly correct, but they do the trick, the rest is just practice.

Archived