Gibson faded SG or V. Any good?

BASSDAD

• Members

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I don't like the pups in the SG but the V is greatness. I just don't like the pups in SG Specials of any kind period, but that is just me. I am getting one. I have the LP VM which is the Les Paul version and it is excellent. Some of the SGs seem to have sharp frets, play a few and find a good one.

• Members

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I don't like the pups in the SG but the V is greatness. I just don't like the pups in SG Specials of any kind period, but that is just me. I am getting one. I have the LP VM which is the Les Paul version and it is excellent. Some of the SGs seem to have sharp frets, play a few and find a good one.

OK Thanks!

I was told they just went up at GC at Gibson's request.

One salesman did tell me he's sell me either one for the old price of $579.00.

Good deal?

• Members

Yeah not bad. I just had to haggle the price on a V, they went up to $699 as well. I bought my LP VM sans the case brand new for $499 (I pulled it out of the box at GC) on Labor Day, they are going with case for like $800 now.

OK. So I should ask for the 30 bucks off the price because I don't want the gig bag? Then try to get rid of the tax?

BTW- I CHECKED OUT THE Orthodox Fuzz. I like the Villiagers...

I sany of that distorted bass?

Thanks again.

• Members

Most of it has distorted bass -- our bass player plays a Ric through a Mesa bass stack and uses either a Big Muff or Boss Distortion SD-1 that has been modded. All of that stuff on that site are just demos so we can learn songs or not forget riffs since we can only practice once a week. We'll hit the studio this summer for an EP probably.

I agree with the dude below, the V is much better than the SG, but if you find a good SG, they are great. Play a ton of them though. They are harder to find. I've played a few that were worthy, but the Epi Vintage G-400 is a better overall guitar IMO as well.

• Members

I had the V, ended up trading it for an older faded SG (04 or so) and I like the SG much more than the V, though the V sounded better (better pups). Im gonna put a Duncan Distortion in mine soon
:thu:

What do like better about the SG?

Is it just the shape of the V for sit down that sucked?

• Members

I've tried a couple of Faded SG's and thought they were junk. The Epi G400s and Elitist SGs absolutely owned them. However, I have a Faded Flying V and I love it. That V + my Mark III = TONE!

How's the V for standup? ( I figured out the sit down method)

Will straplocks work with it or will the strap twist?

And yea the pickups in the SG I tried were at crazy angles.

• Members

It boils down to a preference thing my man. I own an SG Classic, super nice SG with P90s. But I prefer my Les Paul VM (both Gibsons) -- why? I prefer Les Pauls to SGs. I just sold a black SG Special, just didn't dig it. I used to have a Goth Explorer, I sold it because I didn't like it, just too bulky. I like Vs and always have. I play standing 90% of the time so that is no issue for me and I use a strap all of the time as well. Its all personal preference. Don't buy a guitar because of the shape or color. The LP VM is not pretty, but boy does she play. I thought I'd like SGs because my guitar hero is Tomy Iommi, well -- I still am inspired by Iommi but I am not an SG guy, they don't do it for me really. I have my two LPs, my SG, and I'll get my V and be done. For a while :D

• Members

How's the V for standup? ( I figured out the sit down method)

Will straplocks work with it or will the strap twist?

And yea the pickups in the SG I tried were at crazy angles.

The V is a breeze to play standing up. I have strap locks on mine and have no trouble. You just have to put the strap lock on "backwards" on the strap so it doesn't twist at the front peg. I can't really ask much more out of that guitar, especially a stock guitar.

• Members

you have to pick and choose with the faded series, some are outstanding, others are junk.

Well worth the hunt for a good one.

The faded V is the closest to its bigger brother given that is has the same electronics.

Im with everybody who doesent like the bridge pup of the faded SG. Its pretty much dull and worthless for anything but perhaps jazz, but who the hell buys a SG for jazz? ? ?

• Members

you have to pick and choose with the faded series, some are outstanding, others are junk.

Well worth the hunt for a good one.

The faded V is the closest to its bigger brother given that is has the same electronics.

Im with everybody who doesent like the bridge pup of the faded SG. Its pretty much dull and worthless for anything but perhaps jazz, but who the hell buys a SG for jazz? ? ?

Well put! You know there's something about this fellow, I find myself in agreement with him often!

Because...........he's Correct!

I sold a Faded V that I bought new in 02. What a mistake, maybe one of the better Gibson's I ever played. Mine came with a Ebony board on it for what reason? I do not know. But the body was one-piece, very light, and the Ceramics just {censored}ing rocked on it.

Buying the pricier Gloss Finished V will give you just that EXTRA, a Gloss finish and a OHSC! Otherwise identicle.....GOOD DEAL if your short on dollars!

• Members

I know, I still have one here but its not a Gibson. The interaction of the 496/500T pick-ups on the Gibby with the solid Mahogany? Was really a Classic Rock Tone. Only thing NOT to like is the uncomfortable shape a V could have inside a home in a bedroom, and sitting?

Otherwise the guitar really is a No-Brainer. I was able to juggle around and come up with a Mint Explorer. Which I just finished this week. Its very very close to a V especially with the identicle electronics.

The Explorer fits me well also. I'm over 6'4. so the large body style of the Explorer really doesn't seem like much hanging on me?

Mine is a 98 and was left under a bed in Arizona for 10 years. I thought maybe the fellow was pulling my leg untill the guitar arrived here 2-weeks ago.

It came, drop dead MINT NOS 1998. Only issue was a dry fret board and fret sprout. I took [ Ratea's ] advice adn Bore Oiled the fingerboard HEAVILY a few times. After soaking in the Oil for a couple weeks I finally cleaned the board and polished the frets. I hit the fret ends with my Dremel and files, then polished the frets once again. Explorer is just KILLER now. Nice and light at exactly 8lbs, and no relief holes!

• Members

advice adn Bore Oiled the fingerboard HEAVILY a few times. After soaking in the Oil for a couple weeks I finally cleaned the board and polished the frets. I hit the fret ends with my Dremel and files, then polished the frets once again. Explorer is just KILLER now. Nice and light at exactly 8lbs, and no relief holes!

Id swear Explorers have a bit more punch to them, maybe because there is some more mass behind the bridge?

I found mine to be pretty close to my Les Pauls.

Explorer has a HUGE advantage (IMO) tonewise to the V in the neck pickup.

The Explorer has its neck pup right next to the board, which puts in directly in line with the 24th harmonic (like a Les Paul) where as the V it sits back a lil further off the mark (like an SG)

You can play explorer sitting down too!

I had a similar experience to you with my explorer, save for I was on the other end of things. I bought it as a stage guitar just a few months before my band broke up. So it saw action during a photo shoot and one gig. After that it lived in my closet for quite while.

Sold it to fund a custom shop Les Paul..

anyways, sorry for basterdizing the thread!

• Members

Agreed except I love the pups in the SG.

• Members

Are these guitars as good as the more expensive versions?

I mean as far as playability and quality.

They seem like a good deal.

Are they basically Gibson's Highway One?

Generally speaking I found that I would have to "mill" through the SG's a bit more than the V's to find a "good one".

I like them a lot though. If they had a faded Explorer model I prol' would have gone for that instead of the 76-RI.

• Members

Can't speak for the SGs but the Faded Vs definitely offer a lot of bang for your buck.

Some of them can be a bit rough and ready from the box, with sharp fret ends and a horrible action. But once you get them set up, they actually sound better than the more expensive glossy versions, because the ultra-thin nitro finish really lets the wood sing. Downside is that the satin finish is very susceptible to dings and dents, and can even be rubbed off with a wet cloth.

If you go to the next level, the more expensive Custom Shop Vs have one-piece bodies, so the sustain tends to be that bit better. But for a cheaper V, you can't do better than a Faded. They really do sound great.

I put covers on the stock pickups on my 2005 Faded, and it sounds better again to my ears, with slightly less volume but a mellower tone (the pickups were wax-potted). The guitar is actually my #1 player.

gibsonfadedv7ud4.jpg

Archived