Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, I ditched the ashtray bridge on my tele.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I ditched the ashtray bridge on my tele.

My new six saddle bridge arrived today in the post. It is, as far as I can tell a Korean made bridge in the Gotoh style (four screw fixing). It's this one here:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270216982206&ssPa geName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017

I was going to go with the Gotoh, but I won this for CHEAP. Plus the Gotoh bridge seems to be out of stock everywhere and is four times the price

Anyway, I've just finished changing the bridge over and here are my conclusions:

Intonation is MASSIVELY improved, just massively. The guitar is beautifully in tune all over the neck now!

Comfort wise it's a lot better than the ashtray. I can see myself cutting my hand open a lot less on this bridge. Plus it's much easier to palm mute. Much more comfortable all around.

Sound....always a contensious one this. I think it's fair to say that it HAS altered the sound of the guitar. I'm not sure if for better, worse or if I'm really not that bothered!
    I think some the 'clangy' metallic attack has gone a little. The tone is a little more compressed and rounded now. Having said that I think the sustain is a little increased though.

So, mixed bag. Bottom line is it'll make the guitar much more practical for me to play, and I feel any trade offs in 'tone' are compensated for by the improved intonation. I'm really not sure if live I'd be able to tell a difference tonally.

I can see though that a clean, tele pickin' afficionado might find it too big a change. I however tend to play largely dirty, alternative rock, metal, and even Industrial, so the intonation thing is more important to me.

Make of it what you will, but thought this might be of interest to some of you!
    The right tool, for the right job.

Member of the Marshall Circle of Tone

Blasphemy!!!

What do you do with your ashes now????
    Campbell UK-1
    http://www.campbellamerican.com/abou...erican_guitars

NEA Klon Klone
    https://www.facebook.com/NatickElectricalApparatus

Best Guitar Cable money can buy GUITARTEC REPAIR at Barnstorm Music 98 Main St. (Rt. 109) Medway, MA 401 352-4653

Comment

Blasphemy!!!

What do you do with your ashes now????

The only smokin' I do is up and down the fretboard

Comment

Leslie West's V didn't have a neck HB, and he used to joke that he used the HB cavity for an ashtray. Some would argue (not me) that the Tele neck pickup could be removed to serve the same purpose.

Comment

The only smokin' I do is up and down the fretboard

Right answer!!
          Campbell UK-1
          http://www.campbellamerican.com/abou...erican_guitars

NEA Klon Klone
          https://www.facebook.com/NatickElectricalApparatus

Best Guitar Cable money can buy GUITARTEC REPAIR at Barnstorm Music 98 Main St. (Rt. 109) Medway, MA 401 352-4653

Comment

Leslie West's V didn't have a neck HB, and he used to joke that he used the HB cavity for an ashtray. Some would argue (not me) that the Tele neck pickup could be removed to serve the same purpose.

That's a great story!

You know, I didn't know what to make of the neck pickup when I first got my tele. Raising it certainly helped a bit, but I really didn't know 'what to do with it' if that makes any sense.

The 'Eureka' moment though, came in a rehersal when I hit the lead channel on my Marshall, put some delay on, and went for a bluesey solo
            VERY gilmourey, and oh so sweet.

I think clean, they're a bit useless, just not warm enough, but with some OD it's a great pickup to solo on.

Comment

My new six saddle bridge arrived today in the post. It is, as far as I can tell a Korean made bridge in the Gotoh style (four screw fixing). It's this one here:
              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270216982206&ssPa geName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017

I was going to go with the Gotoh, but I won this for CHEAP. Plus the Gotoh bridge seems to be out of stock everywhere and is four times the price

Anyway, I've just finished changing the bridge over and here are my conclusions:

Intonation is MASSIVELY improved, just massively. The guitar is beautifully in tune all over the neck now!

Comfort wise it's a lot better than the ashtray. I can see myself cutting my hand open a lot less on this bridge. Plus it's much easier to palm mute. Much more comfortable all around.

Sound....always a contensious one this. I think it's fair to say that it HAS altered the sound of the guitar. I'm not sure if for better, worse or if I'm really not that bothered!
              I think some the 'clangy' metallic attack has gone a little. The tone is a little more compressed and rounded now. Having said that I think the sustain is a little increased though.

So, mixed bag. Bottom line is it'll make the guitar much more practical for me to play, and I feel any trade offs in 'tone' are compensated for by the improved intonation. I'm really not sure if live I'd be able to tell a difference tonally.

I can see though that a clean, tele pickin' afficionado might find it too big a change. I however tend to play largely dirty, alternative rock, metal, and even Industrial, so the intonation thing is more important to me.

Make of it what you will, but thought this might be of interest to some of you!

ENOUGH OF THIS HERETICAL BANTER.........GUARDS SEIZE THAT MAN !!
              "I don't flatten my 5th's..........I drink em !"
              "The Mighty Telecaster: The "Polygraph" Of Electric Guitars!"

Comment

I never had any intonation problems with my '52 Reissue Tele; in fact it was one of the most 'in tune' guitars I owned.
                My acoustics play beautifully in tune with minimal bridge compensation so the three saddles on the Tele are more than enough.
                You can lead a man to knowledge but you can't make him think.

Comment

When I was having a professional setup done to my '52RI, I had the tech install some compensated 3-barrel saddles. Intonation is perfect across the board, and with .11's, it stays in tune perfect. Modern six saddle bridges have no place on a vintage telecaster reissue
                  Gretsch Electromatic w/ TV Jones classics
                  '55 Fender Pro replica (courtesy of Stu-Daddy amps)

Comment

Congratulations and Happy New Bridge Day!

Comment

I'm still saddened by this.

Saddened and more saddened.
                      ORANGE AMPS
                      Good Deals

Winner "Best Multi-Amp Rig" 2012 BOTR

Originally Posted by Sex Panther

I never called myself "Love Panther" or "Commitment Panther".

Formerly known as Dolflundgren

Comment

I just bought a Tele with only half an ashtray. Have to smoke fewer cigars.
                        "There are chords in the hearts of the most reckless that can not be touched without emotion" Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

I have to take mine off to palm mute but I like the way it looks too much to get rid of it.
                          After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. Aldous Huxley

Comment

Seriously guys, I think a lot of people are a little too 'precious' of guitars around here.
                            It's a 4 month old, CIJ telecaster. That means it's a NEW guitar. I've taken a new guitar and am gradually turning into what I want from it.

If no one bothered trying these things (not that I'm making myself out to be some great innovator or anything), where would be?

Eddie frankenstrat had a humbucker ripped from a 60's es335 so I understand. See THAT could be saddening. But look at the bigger picture, look what came of it!

It's all an experiment. I've not drilled any additional holes, and I still have the ashtray.

What I'd be interested in, in the future, is taking a wilkinson compensated ashtray bridge, and trimming away the upper side.
                            Thing is again, it's altering the bridge!

Bottom line, I don't find ashtray bridges comfortable to play!

Comment

Tell me when you're ready to switch back and I'll stop.
                              Originally Posted by adlo76

i used think guitarmandp was a douchebag.
                              now i'm certain.

Comment

Working...
                              X