inspirations

jjpistols

• Members

I am not asking who inspired you. I am not asking who your favorite guitarist is.

I AM asking:

Who do you think has inspired the most people to pick up and learn to play electric guitar?

Who is it, who is your best guess?

I'm thinking maybe Cobain or Ace Frehley - if acoustics were included it would probably have to be The Beatles, maybe it still is... but {censored} acoustics in this thread

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that these days people are more prone to pick up the guitar because of personal friends and family/or aquantances that already play. They usually dont become inspired by the big boys until they learn the basics. After that then they start looking to identify with the famous players.

• Members

It's definitely a generational thing, not to mention geographical ... frinstance, Kiss were YUGE in the US and Japan, but never meant {censored} in the UK.

In my own space/time nexus, Lonnie Donegan was massively important, as were early rockers like Elvis P and Buddy Holly ... then The Shadows and next The Beatles. The 'guitar hero' generation (I don't mean the game: I mean 60s stars like Clapton, Beck and Hendrix) were actually quite off-putting to young players, because the implication was that unless you were brilliant on that scale, you didn't deserve to be on a stage.

Which is why the First Wave punk bands were so important: the likes of The Ramones, the Pistols, The Clash and The Damned made it seem as if ANYONE who could master a few chords could get up and do it too. THAT was inspiring, though of course creating great punk rock wasn't nearly as easy and simple as they made it look.

Like the Sniffin' Glue fanzine once famously put it:

'Here's a chord [diagram].

'Here's another.

'Here's one more.

'NOW START A BAND.'

None of this 'spend twelve years in the bedroom learning to shred' crap back in MY day.

You started with the basics and learned the rest on the job.

So let's hear it for the PUNX.

Archived