Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beatles, Clapton, Page, Iommi, Hetfield, EVH, Cobain...
    Brian H. - GBT #261, Super Awesome Gibson VM Les Paul Club, SG Army, Epiphone Empire

Facebook: Orthodox Fuzz
    Reverbnation: Orthodox Fuzz
    Twitter: Orthodox Fuzz

Main Gear: Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute, Gibson Les Paul VM, Gibson Faded Flying V, Epi Les Paul Custom, 77 Ibanez 2350CS Les Paul, Epiphone Sheraton II, Orange Rockerverb 100, Orange PPC412 cab, Sunn (O))) Enforcer head, 70s Sunn 4x12, Sunn Beta Lead 2x12 combo

Comment

The Beatles more than anyone.

And there still doing it.
      “One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
      -Rachel Carson-

Comment

Buddy Holly (esp in England)
        Chuck Berry

Comment

The Beatles (I don't see any acoustic guitars, JJ)

Comment

Ace in the 70s, EVH in the early 80s, Slash in the late 80s, Kurt in the 90s.
            My Gear:

2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
            1990 Gibson Les Paul Studio
            Marshall JTM45 Reissue
            Marshall 1960AC 4x12

Comment

Anyone who was cool at the time of most peoples youth I guess.
              Cobain I think of from my teenage years.
              *Captain in the SG Army*

Originally Posted by Minitruth

Of course. I told 'em you guys were saying they might try to stick furniture
              up my ass. Pics are proof they did not

Guitars: Gibson SG Special, Gibson Les Paul Studio VM, Gibson Melody Maker, Fender Strat, Fender Mustang, Epiphone Dot, Washburn WI66 P90's

Amps: Fender Vibro Champ XD, Blackheart Little Giant Combo

Pedals: Boss TU2, Bad Monkey, Crybaby, Rat 2, Metal Muff, MXR Phase 90, Small Clone, Marshall Echohead, Holy Grail

Comment

For me it was cos I saw friends play. And for a friend of mine it was those same friends and me playing that influenced him. So it's not just famous people. Although of famous people I would say Angus Young.

Comment

James Hetfield

Comment

It's definitely a generational thing, not to mention geographical ... frinstance, Kiss were YUGE in the US and Japan, but never meant **************** in the UK.

In my own space/time nexus, Lonnie Donegan was massively important, as were early rockers like Elvis P and Buddy Holly ... then The Shadows and next The Beatles. The 'guitar hero' generation (I don't mean the game: I mean 60s stars like Clapton, Beck and Hendrix) were actually quite off-putting to young players, because the implication was that unless you were brilliant on that scale, you didn't deserve to be on a stage.

Which is why the First Wave punk bands were so important: the likes of The Ramones, the Pistols, The Clash and The Damned made it seem as if ANYONE who could master a few chords could get up and do it too. THAT was inspiring, though of course creating great punk rock wasn't nearly as easy and simple as they made it look.

Like the Sniffin' Glue fanzine once famously put it:

'Here's a chord [diagram].

'Here's another.

'Here's one more.

'NOW START A BAND.'

None of this 'spend twelve years in the bedroom learning to shred' crap back in MY day.

You started with the basics and learned the rest on the job.

So let's hear it for the PUNX.
                    http://charlesshaarmurray.com/

Originally Posted by Spike

He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You Englishmen are all so ... bloody hell ... sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks ... oh no, I'm ENGLISH!

Originally Posted by Lucio

everyone has different gear and stuff like this tends to be quite subjective.

Originally Posted by Captain Jack Sparrow

Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness.

Honorary Granddaughter: FerdinandStrat

Comment

Most of my teen students are huge Slash Fans. Ans the Stones believe it or not,
                      If only I was all thumbs

Comment

Buddy Holly (esp in England)
                        Chuck Berry

+1
                        Fender 50's Classic Strat
                        Squier MIK Tele 80's
                        Squier S73 SG
                        Seagull 12 string ac/ele
                        Rogue VB100 BASS
                        Fender Rumble 15 watt Bass amp
                        Fender Hotrod Deluxe
                        Vox AC4TV8
                        Kustom Tube12
                        Roland Microcube

Comment

'Here's another.

'Here's one more.

'NOW START A BAND.'

None of this 'spend twelve years in the bedroom learning to shred' crap back in MY day.

You started with the basics and learned the rest on the job.

So let's hear it for the PUNX.

That's interesting you mentioned that cause I heard an interview with tom morrello one time and he said the same thing.....He thought when he was a kid looking up to guys like tony iommi and richie blackmore as well as clapton etc that you'd have to own a castle on a scotish loch to be able to be in a band but all that changed for him when he heard the clash etc.

I think it really is a generational thing. I mean all the guys I knew picked up guitars cause of guys like warren demartini, robin crosby, randy rhodes, smith and murray,,and all the rest of the metal guys.

Comment

Ace in the 70s, EVH in the early 80s, Slash in the late 80s, Kurt in the 90s.

End of thread, despite how depressing that 90's inspiration is..
                            Signature...

Comment

Who do you think has inspired the most people to pick up and learn to play electric guitar?

It would have to be someone from the baby boomer generation, just by the fact that the shear number of boomers overwhelms gen xers and what ever other generation you want to bring up. So, I'd say Beatles. Even for electric, yes.
                              I make hand painted vintage style fuzzes: http://www.lowbroweffects.com

Comment

Jimi H.

Comment

Working...
                                X