Three-finger scales faster?

Krank

• Members

I see some ludicrously fast players (the speed metal kind) play figures using only three fretting fingers. Yngwie, for instance. Does this carry an advantage to the four-finger positions I've been taught?

• Members

I see some ludicrously fast players (the speed metal kind) play figures using only three fretting fingers. Yngwie, for instance. Does this carry an advantage to the four-finger positions I've been taught?

It has more to do with playing three-note-per-string scales rather than which fingers you use. Do what you feel most comfortable with, but the 3 nps scales are a shredders' standard.

• Members

It has more to do with playing three-note-per-string scales rather than which fingers you use. Do what you feel most comfortable with, but the 3 nps scales are a shredders' standard.

I know about 3nps. I'm simply wondering if there's an ergonomical advantage to eliminating the pinky.

• Members

No, there isn't. Instead, work on getting your pinky as strong as your other fingers.

I've been practising that for years, and I don't feel like that's what's holding me back, rather my right hand. For steady, controlled alternate picking, I max out at around 130bpm sixteenths. I'm wondering why these ultra-fast pickers don't use the pinky much.

How fast can you pick?

• Members

They use it when necessary, but normally they just use whatever feels natural, whether that includes the pinky or not. Kee Marcello is a monster picker, and he doesn't use the pinky all that much:

[YOUTUBE]28pjsUQi6Jg[/YOUTUBE]

Paul Gilbert is another monster picker, and he uses the pinky all the time:

[YOUTUBE]ES1RypBww_g[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I've been practising that for years, and I don't feel like that's what's holding me back, rather my right hand. For steady, controlled alternate picking, I max out at around 130bpm sixteenths. I'm wondering why these ultra-fast pickers don't use the pinky much.

How fast can you pick?

Uh, I don't know. My picking technique is like my dick. I've never heard any complaints and it seems to get the job done, so I don't worry about measurements.

• Members

I'm pretty sure that Keef never uses his and that (at least back in the day) Clapton only played with 3.

What's your point?

*Cough*

Sorry, the {censored}-stirring stick is just begging to be used today.

• Members

Uh, I don't know. My picking technique is like my dick. I've never heard any complaints and it seems to get the job done, so I don't worry about measurements.

Can you pick fast scale runs?

• Members

But can you pick fast scale runs?

Yeah, pretty fast. I do my fastest stuff in the pentatonic box, but I can get around on the three-notes-per-string stuff pretty quickly. Something like the speed of the intro to "Cliffs of Dover" is probably as fast as I can play, I guess.

I hold the pick between the tip of my middle finger and my thumb, at roughly a 45 degree angle to the string. I don't "choke up" on the pick a lot, but when I'm picking as fast as I can, the tip is barely below the string.

• Members

I'm pretty sure that Keef never uses his and that (at least back in the day) Clapton only played with 3.

Neither of those player are usually doing anything that would require a pinky.

Why wouldn't you want to play with an extra digit? Django played with only two fingers, but thats because thats all he had. If he had 4 available fingers, I'm sure he would have used them.

• Members

What's your point?

*Cough*

Sorry, the {censored}-stirring stick is just begging to be used today.

He said "I've never heard any player worth a damn recommend not using the pinky." so I pointed out two excellent players who only play with 3 fingers. I think it's pretty clear what my point was.

• Members

Okay. Talk to me.

Edit - oh, you already did post your opiion. Good point - good illustrations. Thanks.

I'd like to add that I think it's important to get the pinky as active as possible, it'll make your technique appear more even, in a way. Like, you'll use the same fingers for an Am run starting on the 5th fret low E-string as one starting on the 12 fret A-string, even though the fretting distance isn't the same. Hope that wasn't too complex an example.

But yeah, you don't have to do anything, but a little discipline never hurt, and it'll only help you in the long run. I totally changed my approach to picking in 2005, and getting a new perspective on things has really helped my playing.

• Members
He said "I've never heard any player worth a damn recommend not using the pinky." so I pointed out two excellent players who only play with 3 fingers. I think it's pretty clear what my point was.

And I was implying that I didn't think those two players were all that excellent. But I was just ribbing you. :thu:

• Members

Yeah, but Keef and EC aren't fast players, they don't play anything that would require a more classical fretting approach.

Archived