• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sig Worthy. Might have to borrow that.

You can only use it if it's true!
    Originally Posted by korky1958

And it's a suede vest, not a waistcoat.

Comment

Jesus Christ, Gilberts got some freakishly long fingers.

That was a great clip.
      Some stuff

Alc's Trower Jam Take

Alc's Santana Jam Take

Comment

Can you pick fast scale runs?
        I can! I can!

*jumps up and down*

Comment

Yeah that guy up there can pick like a mother****************er, talk to him.

Comment

I can! I can!

*jumps up and down*

Okay. Talk to me.

Edit - oh, you already did post your opinion. Good point - good illustrations. Thanks.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Keef never uses his and that (at least back in the day) Clapton only played with 3.

Neither of those player are usually doing anything that would require a pinky.

Why wouldn't you want to play with an extra digit? Django played with only two fingers, but thats because thats all he had. If he had 4 available fingers, I'm sure he would have used them.

Comment

What's your point?

*Cough*

Sorry, the ****************-stirring stick is just begging to be used today.

He said "I've never heard any player worth a damn recommend not using the pinky." so I pointed out two excellent players who only play with 3 fingers. I think it's pretty clear what my point was.
                - Gibson ES-335
                - Gibson Hummingbird
                - Fender Strat MIM
                - Ovation Tangent & Tangent Bass
                - Vox AC15C1 - British Racing Green

F-Holes

Originally Posted by GreatDane

the player plays, but the instrument should inspire.

Comment

Okay. Talk to me.

Edit - oh, you already did post your opiion. Good point - good illustrations. Thanks.
                  I'd like to add that I think it's important to get the pinky as active as possible, it'll make your technique appear more even, in a way. Like, you'll use the same fingers for an Am run starting on the 5th fret low E-string as one starting on the 12 fret A-string, even though the fretting distance isn't the same. Hope that wasn't too complex an example.

But yeah, you don't have to do anything, but a little discipline never hurt, and it'll only help you in the long run. I totally changed my approach to picking in 2005, and getting a new perspective on things has really helped my playing.

Comment

He said "I've never heard any player worth a damn recommend not using the pinky." so I pointed out two excellent players who only play with 3 fingers. I think it's pretty clear what my point was.

And I was implying that I didn't think those two players were all that excellent. But I was just ribbing you.

Comment

Yeah, but Keef and EC aren't fast players, they don't play anything that would require a more classical fretting approach.

Comment

But I was just ribbing you.

Sorry, my overly sensitive switch must have been flicked on this morning.
                        - Gibson ES-335
                        - Gibson Hummingbird
                        - Fender Strat MIM
                        - Ovation Tangent & Tangent Bass
                        - Vox AC15C1 - British Racing Green

F-Holes

Originally Posted by GreatDane

the player plays, but the instrument should inspire.

Comment

I know about 3nps. I'm simply wondering if there's an ergonomical advantage to eliminating the pinky.

Only if it's weak. If you evenly work out your fingers, then there's more of an advantage to use the pinky.

I'm not saying I'm fast, but I use my pinky on almost all my 3 notes per string runs. The only time I don't is if I'm bumping my hand up against the lower horn and can stretch better to the bass side strings with my ring finger.
                          Originally Posted by rhino55

I think lonechicken is the one that always says dont stick your dick in the crazy more than once. Thats good advice.

Originally Posted by Gaindrain

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Comment

Yngwie's the benchmark for fast picking and I seem him use mostly all 4 fingers below the 12th fret then switch to 3 or 4 fingers above there. I never could get used to running 7 tone scales without muh pinky though
                            Guitars: Suhr Pro Series S2, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded 50's neck w/Wolfetone pu's.
                            Amps: Blackstar HT-5, Diezel 1x12cab, Vox DA-5
                            Effects: Boss TU-2>Cry Baby GCB-95F>MXR CS Phase 90>Keeley TS-9 Plus Mod>BYOC Analog Chorus>MXR Carbon Copy>ISP Decimator> amp.

Comment

Yngwie does use his pinky. There are certain advantages to using three fingers for most standard runs, and "saving" the pinky. You're ready for wider stretches at a moment's notice. He uses his pinky a lot in his pedal tone stuff.

You get good technique either way, all of this sort've stuff like should I use three or four fingers? should I hold my pick this way? should I econ pick or should I alternate?... all adds up to a player's own sound. There is many, many paths, you just have to find one and practice. You'll get good in your own way.

For example, look at Gilbert's approach and Yngwie's and they're both very different in the fingerings and picking approach. But they're both awesome. I can tell you either one would have a very difficult time playing the other's stuff well. Because of the way they practiced and developed their own thing. Gilbert's mechanical strict alternate picking would give Yngwie a headache, while Yngwie's psuedo blend of gypsy/econ style picking would go against Gilbert's grain.

Comment

Working...
                              X