Strat Pickup Wiring Question

Nomad000

• Members

Hi,

I'm trying to get my strat to cancel the 60 cycle hum when I switch the pup selector to positions 2 and 4, which I thought was a standard thing on all strats but mine doesn't seem to be doing it. Is this something that can be achieved by changing the wiring or does it have to do with how the middle pickup's been wound? How can I work my way around this?

Thanks~

• Members

Right second time: you need a middle pickup specifically wound'n wired as RWRP (reverse wound, reverse polarity).

Short of replacing or rewinding your PU, I dunno ... look, I think you'd better ask a grownup, okay?

• Members

If it's possible you could try flipping the magnet and then switching the two wires with each other. That would do it too. If the magnet is glued in place or inaccessible, I got nothing. If it's any consolation, the 2 and 4 positions sound less bright and clear when they are made to hum cancel like that. You might try just shielding things better in the control cavity and under the pickguard with copper foil tape.

• Members

If it's possible you could try flipping the magnet and then switching the two wires with each other. That would do it too. If the magnet is glued in place or inaccessible, I got nothing. If it's any consolation, the 2 and 4 positions sound less bright and clear when they are made to hum cancel like that. You might try just shielding things better in the control cavity and under the pickguard with copper foil tape.

I don't know if I would agree with "less clear". I have strats with both configurations. I would go as far as saying they sound different, and different frequencies are accentuated, but I think they both sound clear.

Archived