X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat Pickup Wiring Question

Hi,

I'm trying to get my strat to cancel the 60 cycle hum when I switch the pup selector to positions 2 and 4, which I thought was a standard thing on all strats but mine doesn't seem to be doing it. Is this something that can be achieved by changing the wiring or does it have to do with how the middle pickup's been wound? How can I work my way around this?

Thanks~

Right second time: you need a middle pickup specifically wound'n wired as RWRP (reverse wound, reverse polarity).

Short of replacing or rewinding your PU, I dunno ... look, I think you'd better ask a grownup, okay?
    http://charlesshaarmurray.com/

Originally Posted by Spike

He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You Englishmen are all so ... bloody hell ... sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks ... oh no, I'm ENGLISH!

Originally Posted by Lucio

everyone has different gear and stuff like this tends to be quite subjective.

Originally Posted by Captain Jack Sparrow

Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness.

Honorary Granddaughter: FerdinandStrat

Comment

+1 to what csm said, you need a rwrp middle pup. It effectively makes the combo of the two pickups a humbucker, albeit with the coils spread out a bit.
      --
      Wagdog
      Check out Lunar Commander on:
      iTunes App Store
      Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
      iTunes App Store
      Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
      - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

That's what I wanted to know, thank you so much!

Comment

If it's possible you could try flipping the magnet and then switching the two wires with each other. That would do it too. If the magnet is glued in place or inaccessible, I got nothing. If it's any consolation, the 2 and 4 positions sound less bright and clear when they are made to hum cancel like that. You might try just shielding things better in the control cavity and under the pickguard with copper foil tape.
          "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

If it's possible you could try flipping the magnet and then switching the two wires with each other. That would do it too. If the magnet is glued in place or inaccessible, I got nothing. If it's any consolation, the 2 and 4 positions sound less bright and clear when they are made to hum cancel like that. You might try just shielding things better in the control cavity and under the pickguard with copper foil tape.

I don't know if I would agree with "less clear". I have strats with both configurations. I would go as far as saying they sound different, and different frequencies are accentuated, but I think they both sound clear.
            --
            Wagdog
            Check out Lunar Commander on:
            iTunes App Store
            Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
            iTunes App Store
            Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
            - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

Working...
            X