How 'bout some love for Molly Hatchet?

6mmSid

• Members

It's pretty slim pickings for Molly Hatchet on YouTube, but this video is good. Sadly, I came up empty in my search for "Boogie No More", my personal favorite.

Ladies and Gentlemen, give it up for Danny Joe Brown and the Guitar Army!

DKzR_TNZk4k

• Members

Saw them 2 years ago at the Ribfest in Pittsburgh,it was a couple's anniversary gift from Dawn & I & the band was cool and wished them well on stage and greeted them after the show,pretty cool time I thought & my friends always bring that up :)

• Members

I remember when Hatchet's first album came out - late 70's. I was living in Kentucky at the time. That was one great album. DJB and Duane Roland - may they rest in peace.

Around the same time period 38 Special's first album was released. Well worth checking out by southern rock fans. This isn't like the 80's MTV era 38 Special although I like that for what it is, too. The first album is straight ahead Southern Rock.

• Members

Good band! Here's a cool story...back in the 80's we opened for them in Atlanta...Dave Lubbick(sp) came back to our dressing room before we went on...he was partaking in a few recreational commodities with us and was telling us how all the opening bands for them were getting booed of the stage and having stuff thrown at them and {censored}...so he said he'd do us a favor and personally introduce us. He did just that...introduced us as friends of Molly Hatchet and the fans loved it...we had a great set and got called back for an encore.:cool:

• Members

Good band! Here's a cool story...back in the 80's we opened for them in Atlanta...Dave Lubbick(sp) came back to our dressing room before we went on...he was partaking in a few recreational commodities with us and was telling us how all the opening bands for them were getting booed of the stage and having stuff thrown at them and {censored}...so he said he'd do us a favor and personally introduce us. He did just that...introduced us as friends of Molly Hatchet and the fans loved it...we had a great set and got called back for an encore.
:cool:

Great story. What band were you in?

• Members

Man, listen around 0:58, he {censored}s up the lyrics to Flirtin With Disaster...shows you how {censored}ed up they were live.

The last time a version of "Molly Hatchet" came around, i dont think they had even 1 original roadie, much less a member of the band.

There's a story about how Danny Joe Brown sold the name Molly Hatchet and after that, pffft.

Yea, back in the day, i liked em alot but damn, talk about burning out the hard way, geez.

okay, so they put on a good show but i remember back in those daze...they were fuuuuuuuuuuucked up. DJB was a nice guy...effed up ...but a nice guy.

I hear Hlubek is driving a delivery truck for Home Depot down around Jacksonville Fl. ???

That's {censored}ed up, he should be playing somewhere.

• Members

Man, listen around 0:58, he {censored}s up the lyrics to Flirtin With Disaster...shows you how {censored}ed up they were live.

The last time a version of "Molly Hatchet" came around, i dont think they had even 1 original roadie, much less a member of the band.

There's a story about how Danny Joe Brown sold the name Molly Hatchet and after that, pffft.

Yea, back in the day, i liked em alot but damn, talk about burning out the hard way, geez.

okay, so they put on a good show but i remember back in those daze...they were fuuuuuuuuuuucked up. DJB was a nice guy...effed up ...but a nice guy.

I hear Hlubek is driving a delivery truck for Home Depot down around Jacksonville Fl. ???

That's {censored}ed up, he should be playing somewhere.

Yeah, from what I've heard they partied as hard as ANYONE. Of course two of them are gone, so it just goes to show you....

• Members

My first concert ever was MH opening for the Outlaws at the Spectrum in Philly back in '78 or so. Loved them ever since!!

And yes, Boogie No More is my favorite song by them!
:thu:

Saw the outlaws open for SRV at the tower in 83 a fast fall, never knew they played the spectrum

Philly always seemed top have a lot of love for southern rock. they had the round up in 81 or 82 it was. 3 bnads that seemd to go over like gangbusters then Skynard ,Yes and Springsteen. odd combo

• Members

I only saw them once, in the mid-80's, they were the opening band for Triumph. There was a third band on the bill but i forget who.

well after only one or two songs from MH, someone in the crowd tossed a smoke bomb on stage which engulfed the entire stage in smoke and the band stopped playing and got mad and left. house lights came up and it was over until Triumph hit the stage. so much for that. good times.

• Members

I remember when Hatchet's first album came out - late 70's. I was living in Kentucky at the time. That was one great album. DJB and Duane Roland - may they rest in peace.

Around the same time period 38 Special's first album was released. Well worth checking out by southern rock fans. This isn't like the 80's MTV era 38 Special although I like that for what it is, too. The first album is straight ahead Southern Rock.

I remember also, and that is a cooking LP. I remember when Southern Rock was really hitting it big to, For me it was the mid 70's with Skynard, Outlaws, CDB, Allman Bro's and Little Feat.

Good time for it also. Rock was really slowing down and Disco was poring it on. Was good to hear some down home Rock and Roll!

• Members

The last time a version of "Molly Hatchet" came around, i dont think they had even 1 original roadie, much less a member of the band. . . . .

Actually, Hlubek is back in MH and has been for a few years. I believe the brief version of that story goes like this: A lot of the guys from the version of MH in those videos (Roland, Hlubek, Riff West, Steve Holland, and Bruce Crump, along with second MH vocalist Jimmy Farrar) were getting together to form a band called Gator Country and bill themselves as the guys who really recorded all the old MH songs. This idea came up after the Jammin' for DJB benefit where they all got back together again (there are many videos from this event on youtube). Just as the idea was about to move forward Hlubek took an offer to go with MH.

Duane Roland has since died. However, Gator Country is still around at gatorcountryrocks.com with Paul Chapman (UFO) replacing Roland.

• Members

Great story. What band were you in?

A band out of Atlanta called The Swinging Richards...we opened up for tons of people...everyone from Bonnie Raitt and David Allan Coe to Warrant and Ted Nugent, for some reason we went over with just about any kind of crowd.:D

Archived