Semi-OT: Peavey Sheffield 1230 vs. Celestion G12T75?

Phrostbit

• Members

I just picked up a new amp (Peavey Ultra 112) that came with a Peavey Sheffield 1230 speaker. This isn't a "bad" sounding speaker, don't get me wrong ... but ... I also have a Celestion G12T75 in storage that I could throw in there.

Any opinions on if I should put in the Celestion or not? I don't have much experience with Peavey speakers, but know I love Celestions.

--PB

• Members

people slag the shef, but it's a darn good speaker....and I wouldn't bother spending coin on the 75 just to switch from the shef....

The 75 is my favorite speaker of all time, but I've never heard a bad shef...

I already own the G12T75 ... so it wouldn't be any coin ... just 15 minutes.

--PB

• Members

I had the Ultra 2x12 with the 1230's and my current Peavey cab has 2 -1230's.

They are decent but the 75's and Vintage 30;s I have just seem too ad more too the equation IMO. They also brought a new edge to my Ultra 2x12 when I had her.

The Sheffields are very in your face and a tad schrill to me. But mated with the Eminence Legends I have they do work very well together.

The Sheffield deffinately arent junk speakers though by any means. Unlike the Crate and Carvin examples Ive had.

• Members

I haven't heard any of the recent Peaveys with Sheffields as far as I know, but if you already have a Celestion, I'd keep the Sheffield in there for a couple weeks getting to know it, then swap in the Celestion and see how it differs.

I mean, why not? :idk:

• Members

OK, LOL...then what the hell's stopping you!

Be sure to give us a report when you swap em...

oh....and don't overtorque those speakers!
:cop:

REPORTING SIR!!! :p:wave::cop:

I only torqued it down to the point where it started to feel snug, but not to the point the wood of the cab was cracking.

The Sheffield was good ... but there is no comparison to the Celestion.

Putting the G12T75 in there opened up the whole amp. Before the highest gain sounded a little bit fizzy & harsh. It was also lacking in the mids, the strings just weren't coming through as clearly. Now it literally growls with disdain for all that is clean.

On the clean side of things it also took away the harsh brittleness, and I was actually able to turn up the high end just a little bit and get some really nice sparkle w/ verb on. It also has a much deeper resonance when strumming chords.

So Celestion wins again.

--PB

Archived