best rock guitar for 400$?

crazywhiteboi94

• Members

hey, im a pretty new guitar player and im looking to get a new guitar for about 400$ .... I listen to music like the white stripes, metallica, manowar, guns n roses, aerosmith, alice cooper, that kind of stuff. what do you think is the best guitar for about 400? or even less.... i dont care if its used or not. ebay is fine.

• Members

Something with two humbuckers. The suggestions above sound pretty good to me. I have an Epiphone LP goldtop, which plays pretty well (although it perhaps wouldn't be for you, as you would probably want some humbuckers if it was your only guitar), so I would vouch for that 'brand'. But you need to try a few out to get a good one.

Used Gibson SG faded for $400? You Americans are lucky bastards! I think that would be almost impossible in UK, even on ebay.

• Members

Personally, I think that you should get an Xaviere or an Agile and use the left over money to get a basic floor pedal so you can get the sounds you want for the music you like to play. Those guitars generally cost less than Epis, and (imo) are of equal quality build/material wise.

If you want to spend 400 bucks on a guitar though, I'd suggest a Schecter. I've never really heard anything bad about them. They don't have the vintage look, but the quality is great.

• Members

I agree the Schecter is a nice choice and it will cover a lot of ground in various styles of music. But the guy showing off the MM1 got my attention too!

You should be fine with just about anything that has dual humbuckers and as long as it feels right to you, you can always mod it with better pick ups later.

• Members

do you know where i can find a faded gibson sg for 400? arent they more like 650?

They are definitely more in the $650 range.

I totally agree with the posters who suggest the Epiphone Les Paul. Consider also a MusicMan SUB1 guitar -- they are 'merican Made, their necks are fast, and they have humbuckers. Great shred machines.

• Members

You can definitely find some great buys on ebay; just make sure you do your research on who you're buying from. Epiphone can be a good choice, but I would agree with the recommendation on Schecter (although you may have to go above your $400 price point). How about a Michael Kelly? I've actually heard good tings about these (haven't played one though, but maybe someone here has?). Seems like a decent choice (PAFs, coil tapping, inlays, mahogany)?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Michael-Kelly-Patriot-Shadow-Electric-Guitar?sku=512295

• Members

Its interesting to read peoples responses. I have only really been playing for the last year. But I have "the disease" so I have bought and sold a lot already.

Of the guitars that I have first hand knowledge of I think that Ibanez GAX70 would be a great choice. But the PUP's are crap so build in GFS Chruncy's into the price. You would still be way under $400. Epi SG400 would be another good choice - but be aware it has a heavy neck - so try on strapped on before you buy if you can. Every Agile (from rhondo) I have ever tried, I have been impressed with. Another guitar you don't ear much about is the Hohner TB1. I don't think Hohner has as good a distribution as some other companys. I would take my Hohner over my Xaviere XV700, and probably over my Epi SG400. I was thought of selling the Hohner a short while back - just because I don't play it much - but then kind of re-discovered it - what a great guitar it is.

The Hohner TB is the orange one:

DRUMS2.JPG

DRUMS3.JPG

Good luck. This part is fun.

- W

• Members

Lots O good advice and opinions so far-

Here's mine (based on 25+ years as a professional guitar tech)

There's lots of good guitars @ your price point-due to advances in CNC

machinery. That last 10-25% comes down to skilled labor, and string/pickup choices.

Example: Grabbed this from a fourmite here-arrived w/upgraded tuners, stock pickups. A bit more relief than I like, and the intonation was out.

DSC04064.jpg

got the neck straighter (less relief), frets leveled/polished, intonation set+ string height where I liked it. Auditioned a half dozen sets of pickups (including a pair of $335 WCR Goodwoods), and damn if a $80 pair of tonerider AC-4s worked best (this guitar, "classic" rock tones).

Plays as good as anything on the wall @ G.C., and rings like a {censored}in' bell.

My point? get something well made, from good wood, and get it set up professionally to your tastes. The thing I like about the Xavieres is that they've all been well made, and project really well in live situations.

All the pickups, BREWTAL amps, and good wishes can't help a dull sounding (acoustically) guitar.

Archived