No announcement yet.

20 watt tube amp

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 watt tube amp

Would a 20 watt tube amp be loud enough to gig with? I was looking at the AXL Akita model.
    Originally Posted by dcindc

I jumped on it! That was a no brainer! fuggit, I bought two.
    I did NOT need this.

Yes, but it won't be very clean. And if you have a really loud drummer you might want a bit more power.
    My Soundclick
    My YouTube Channels

'01 Heritage H535
    '05 USA G&L Legacy
    Taylor Big Baby

Comment

That all depends on what kind of speaker you using. 20 watts througha 12" speaker is plenty for pubs and clubs, through 2 by 12 you could get away with small outdoor gigs. If you can mike the amp then its fine for any live situation
      Great deals w/ placebo62, candletears7

Originally Posted by EL KABONG

just cause Aussies cant have guns (=no freedom) doesnt mean other people cant have them either.

Originally Posted by Naterel

Those meatballs came out right

But that rocket ship is ****************ed up

Comment

i've found that a six watt amp can be loud enough to gig with (fender champ). i had a blues jr. (15 watts) and don't think i ever had to turn it past 3. wattage isn't a great indicator of volume.

Comment

Yeah, I've got a 5W the can hold its own with a drum kit, so you'll be more than fine with 20W.

I'd recommend the 22W Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.
          SPAM:
          Dunlop DC Brick, Digitech JAMMAN Solo.

Comment

Would a 20 watt tube amp be loud enough to gig with? I was looking at the AXL Akita model.

Yes, but if you have decent budget I wouldnt get an AXL amp.
            "I bet Jaymz Hetfield gives out a loud bellowing "OH YEAH!!!" when he takes poo".

Comment

Yes. You'll usually be miked up at a gig, to an extent you're probably better off using a smaller amp. As others have mentioned you might struggle for clean headroom, so if you need really 'clean' guitar tone you'd probably be better going for something bigger - particularly if you intend using it un-miked for rehearsals and small gigs. If clean tone isn't an issue, just buy a 20 watt amp.

Comment

20 watts should be fine for most gigs.

Comment

The Koch Studiotone is 20W and have great headroom on the clean channel.

Comment

20w is plenty. I regularly gig with a Priceton Reverb which is like 12-15watts. Another guy in my band uses a Blues Jr without issue.

We don't really play anywhere where the bar owners want us to cranck it anyway, so something like a twin reverb or 100watt marshall would just be overkill.

I guess it depends on what and where you play though.

Comment

Yeah, I've got a 5W the can hold its own with a drum kit, so you'll be more than fine with 20W.

I'd recommend the 22W Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.

A 5 watt, if you get it up off the floor to waist-level, can cut through amazingly.
                      "I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect." (Edward Gibbon)

"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook." (Alan Morgan)

"Guitar Forums FAQ's: Why Not?"

Eagle River Manifesto on religion.

Troll-Alt-Delete

Comment

I went over to a friends house with a tweed Champ clone. We were all set up in his living room. Basically a drummer, bass, vocalist through the PA, and this guy with a solid state 30 watt Behringer...and me with this little 5 watt Champ. No pedals. No effects. Just me straight into the amp.

Anyway you might not believe this... but when everybody crank up to jam, I could NOT HEAR MY AMP AT ALL. No one else could either. That student/practice amp with it's 5 raging watts was totally overpowered by the other guy's serious stage gear. Hard to believe but it's true.
                        "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

I would recommend a Blues Jr. Nice, affordable, and loud.

Either that.. or you could just scream your guitar notes like "WHAHAHAHAHAHA WHA WHA WHA" while you play the guitar. That would be sweet.
                          Originally Posted by Buzzkill Bill

Strange. I also found God in a bong once.

Then I smoked his ass and coughed.

Originally Posted by vikingrat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quGnEkYt_0g

This one goes out to all you trailer park types that don't know HIGH ART. Get a taste or eat my **************** you.

Comment

i gig a 25 watt peavey bravo , and it RulZ!
                            Alvarez rd20sc /Squier VM HSS Strat > Boss GT-5 > Digitech JamMan > Ibanez DE-7 > Crate Vintage Club 20 / Sunn Stinger 35

WTB:
                            Boss OD3

Originally Posted by LowWoods

Zappa makes god look like Rick Moranis.

Comment

When it comes to volume, speaker size is probably more important than wattage. The Akita looks like it will be good to go.

I'm all about mic'ing amps anyway. You get better spread and more flexibility when it comes to volume/gain levels.
                              Originally Posted by korky1958

And it's a suede vest, not a waistcoat.

Comment

Working...
                              X