Best All around pickup?

ANameYouTrust

• Members

you know that what your asking is at best a very subjective answer.

but i like the gibson 57's, no mud, can be clean and bright, or loud and distorted, and very warm in the middle.

as far as dimz go i like the paf in the neck, and a superdistortion at the bridge.

ymmv

• Members

Please use the search function. It seems like three questions like this are asked every week...

Upon your request, i just searched for "All around pickup" and did NOT find any topics by my name, OR of similar content among the first 10 pages. If you could find one, OR just tell me what the answer was, I'd appreciate it.

And I do know it can be subjective. I know you hear a lot about best metal pickup, or best jazz, or whatever, but there has to be something thats good for everything.

• Members

....jailbait?

The Seymour Duncan JB. One of the first hot-rodded PAF pickups, and still a favourite for very good reason. Seymour Duncan neither confirms nor denies that the pickup was build to Jeff Beck's specifications. :rolleyes:

However, the big criticism of the JB is that it can be very bright in the wrong guitar. I've liked it in mahogany guitars, like Gibsons or Yamahas. My suspicion is that you might find it too bright in your Ibanez, but give it a try. It'll certainly cut through a crowded mix.

Not sure what your budget is, so I'll just toss some names out for you.

- For neck pickups, I would suggest the Gibson 57 Classic, the Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro or the DiMarzio PAF.

- For bridge pickups, I would go with the DiMarzio EVO 2, the Rio Grande BBQ (the warmer alternative to the JB), The Seymour Duncan Screaming Demon or Distortion, or the DiMarzio Super Distortion. These are all suggestions from a friend of mine who has tried pretty much every PU under the sun. He's also a child of 80's metal, so take that as you will.

Of those pickups, only the JB or the BBQ has a nice clean tone.

Hope this helps.

• Members

The Seymour Duncan JB. One of the first hot-rodded PAF pickups, and still a favourite for very good reason. Seymour Duncan neither confirms nor denies that the pickup was build to Jeff Beck's specifications.
:rolleyes:

However, the big criticism of the JB is that it can be very bright in the wrong guitar. I've liked it in mahogany guitars, like Gibsons or Yamahas. My suspicion is that you might find it too bright in your Ibanez, but give it a try. It'll certainly cut through a crowded mix.

the JB was built for him, not exactly as per his specs.

It was also originaly put in a Telecaster, not a Les Paul, as many believe.

• Members

the JB was built for him, not exactly as per his specs.

It was also originally put in a Telecaster, not a Les Paul, as many believe.

Considering Duncan's official name for the pickup is the "Jazz Blues," they're not exactly pushing the SD/JB connection these days. However, I've seen it referred to as the "Jeff Beck" in some pretty respected publications without retractions being posted, so SD's not exactly rushing out to make corrections. I guess it's like the Peavey 5150 renamed as the 6505.

Got any more JB trivia?

• Members

If you're going for all-around versatility, the Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB combo will probably work wonders for you (from what I hear).

From personal experience, I can say that the JB can handle pretty much everything, even metal. Yes, it's a bit bright, but it's the bridge, so why not? Maybe it's best left to mahogany guitars...

If you want to go a slightly different route, maybe the SH-1 in the neck and SH-14 Custom. Can you tell I like Seymour Duncan? Haha.

• Members

Well the BG BUCKER is a good all around pickup.

Dimarzio breed is a great bridge pickup and the PAF JOE is a very sweet sounding neck pickup

I have a set of mustaine pickups in my les paul and they are pretty great all around pickups.

• Members

Upon your request, i just searched for "All around pickup" and did NOT find any topics by my name, OR of similar content among the first 10 pages. If you could find one, OR just tell me what the answer was, I'd appreciate it..

Okay, I guess i don't search for "all around best pick up". I searched on "best pickup". This is what came up.

Yeah, I know I'm being an ass, but after seeing all these threads below, maybe you can understand my reaction to another pickup thread. I would hope that some of this info could be helpful in finding the all around best pickup for you.

Threads:

Best tele kneck pickup...

Best Bridge Pickup

What's the best metal pickup

Best bridge pickup for metal (fast death etc.)

Best strat S/S/S pickup configuration.

And the Best Hard Rock/Metal pickup is......

Best Sounding LP Bridge Pickup you have owned?

What is the best bridge pickup for a Les Paul?

What's The Best Bridge Pickup For Tele Twang?

: Best American Tele Bridge Pickup for ROCK

Best Neck Pickup For Strat?

Best pickup for an MIM '50s Esquire

Best single coil bass pickup for metal?

Best passive neck pickup for cleans?

which pickup is best?

best pickup?

what's the best tele pickup you've ever heard?

Epiphone players - Whats the best pickup swap?

BEST pickup(s) you ever heard/owned.

Illusive "best choice" pickup search..

Which is the best pickup config for me

Which of these pickup set ups would be best?

Best Pickup for a Les Paul Studio

best neck pickup for jazz

...and the list goes on.

• Members

To not be an ass, my suggestion would be buy a used JB off ebay or some other board. It is a well known pickup, tons of them out there, it covers a lot of ground tone-wise, and if you don't like it, you can sell it for about what you paid for it.

• Members

To not be an ass, my suggestion would be buy a used JB off ebay or some other board. It is a well known pickup, tons of them out there, it covers a lot of ground tone-wise, and if you don't like it, you can sell it for about what you paid for it.

Hahaha, that is a lot of pickup topics! And that is not a bad idea. Apparently these JBs are the choice. What about a p90 in the neck and a jb in the bridge? Would anyone do that?

Archived