Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best All around pickup?

These Ibanez stock pickups on my RG350 just aren't cutting it; They're too weak sounding. Not any tone to them. I want a great pickup for anything and everything. What would it be? I was looking into Dimarzio Evolutions. Would that be what i want?
    Check out my band, if you've got nothing scheduled for the day: http://www.myspace.com/damascansun

Good Deals with: Dogbone94, y-o-y, teleman, metalhead666666, hvymtl939, djfrank

Please use the search function. It seems like three questions like this are asked every week...

Comment

you know that what your asking is at best a very subjective answer.
      but i like the gibson 57's, no mud, can be clean and bright, or loud and distorted, and very warm in the middle.
      as far as dimz go i like the paf in the neck, and a superdistortion at the bridge.
      ymmv
      5 STAR GENERAL OF THE SG ARMY
      http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=1232460
      "WE ROCK THE WORLD"

great dealings with: jj pistols, Mr. goodbomb +1, splendor, puckman, mike fiasco +1, johnny z, minitruth, alley trash, teamodave, sxyryan, GUITAR HEEL, twisty571

definition of expert= an "ex" is something that once was. a "spurt" is a drip under pressure

the work begins again, the hope rise's a new,The dream lives on. E.M.Kennedy

Comment

Please use the search function. It seems like three questions like this are asked every week...

Upon your request, i just searched for "All around pickup" and did NOT find any topics by my name, OR of similar content among the first 10 pages. If you could find one, OR just tell me what the answer was, I'd appreciate it.

And I do know it can be subjective. I know you hear a lot about best metal pickup, or best jazz, or whatever, but there has to be something thats good for everything.
        Check out my band, if you've got nothing scheduled for the day: http://www.myspace.com/damascansun

Comment

Duncan JB

Comment

....jailbait?

Comment

....jailbait?

The Seymour Duncan JB. One of the first hot-rodded PAF pickups, and still a favourite for very good reason. Seymour Duncan neither confirms nor denies that the pickup was build to Jeff Beck's specifications.

However, the big criticism of the JB is that it can be very bright in the wrong guitar. I've liked it in mahogany guitars, like Gibsons or Yamahas. My suspicion is that you might find it too bright in your Ibanez, but give it a try. It'll certainly cut through a crowded mix.

Not sure what your budget is, so I'll just toss some names out for you.

- For neck pickups, I would suggest the Gibson 57 Classic, the Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro or the DiMarzio PAF.

- For bridge pickups, I would go with the DiMarzio EVO 2, the Rio Grande BBQ (the warmer alternative to the JB), The Seymour Duncan Screaming Demon or Distortion, or the DiMarzio Super Distortion. These are all suggestions from a friend of mine who has tried pretty much every PU under the sun. He's also a child of 80's metal, so take that as you will.

Of those pickups, only the JB or the BBQ has a nice clean tone.

Hope this helps.
              Originally Posted by Warren Buffett

“There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

Member of the Hamer Squad

Founder of the Danelectro Horde

Third Cousin of The Orange-y Family

Good dealings with: GreatDane, Norcal_GIT_r (x2), solly, puckman, rydia is hot, 98 les paul, JerEvil

MY GUITARS

Comment

duncan designed detonator
                TAKE THAT MANDY MOORE!
                and rogue agent of the SG Army
                Uberschall Uber Alles

Comment

EMG's

Comment

The Seymour Duncan JB. One of the first hot-rodded PAF pickups, and still a favourite for very good reason. Seymour Duncan neither confirms nor denies that the pickup was build to Jeff Beck's specifications.

However, the big criticism of the JB is that it can be very bright in the wrong guitar. I've liked it in mahogany guitars, like Gibsons or Yamahas. My suspicion is that you might find it too bright in your Ibanez, but give it a try. It'll certainly cut through a crowded mix.

the JB was built for him, not exactly as per his specs.

It was also originaly put in a Telecaster, not a Les Paul, as many believe.
                    TAKE THAT MANDY MOORE!
                    and rogue agent of the SG Army
                    Uberschall Uber Alles

Comment

EMG's

Just actually sold my EMG 81.

Comment

Call DiMarzio and ask them for a "IHWAT1" pickup. You will not be sorry. Custom and worth it. As far as a neck pickup, You really can't go wrong with a PAF Pro. Just my 2cents.
                        It's never as easy as it looks...

Comment

the JB was built for him, not exactly as per his specs.

It was also originally put in a Telecaster, not a Les Paul, as many believe.

Considering Duncan's official name for the pickup is the "Jazz Blues," they're not exactly pushing the SD/JB connection these days. However, I've seen it referred to as the "Jeff Beck" in some pretty respected publications without retractions being posted, so SD's not exactly rushing out to make corrections. I guess it's like the Peavey 5150 renamed as the 6505.

Got any more JB trivia?
                          Originally Posted by Warren Buffett

“There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

Member of the Hamer Squad

Founder of the Danelectro Horde

Third Cousin of The Orange-y Family

Good dealings with: GreatDane, Norcal_GIT_r (x2), solly, puckman, rydia is hot, 98 les paul, JerEvil

MY GUITARS

Comment

P90

Comment

If you're going for all-around versatility, the Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB combo will probably work wonders for you (from what I hear).

From personal experience, I can say that the JB can handle pretty much everything, even metal. Yes, it's a bit bright, but it's the bridge, so why not? Maybe it's best left to mahogany guitars...

If you want to go a slightly different route, maybe the SH-1 in the neck and SH-14 Custom. Can you tell I like Seymour Duncan? Haha.
                              Current Gear

Agile AL-3100 Silverburst ('09 w/Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB)
                              Yamaha Pacifica 112 Red Metallic ('03)

Vox AD30VT w/Celestion G10

Vox TonePort ST
                              Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah

My YouTube channel (mainly Metallica covers): http://www.youtube.com/user/OneLoveJK

Comment

Working...
                              X