Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bamboo. The new tonewood!

And it's good for the ol ecosystem!!

http://www.enn.com/top_stories/article/33410

"Boston-based First Act, which built an environmentally friendly electric guitar for Guster's Adam Gardner, is rolling out its Bambusa line of electrics to instrument stores this year. The $399 guitar, currently available via firstact.com and at the company's retail store in Boston, is made of bamboo and covered with a water-based finish, rather than traditional polyurethane.

Rather than a reaction to diminishing wood supply, First Act marketing VP Jeff Walker says that "this is more of a charge led by our head of product development for guitars, who was seeking alternative ways to come out with an exciting new product."
    Campbell UK-1
    http://www.campbellamerican.com/abou...erican_guitars

NEA Klon Klone
    https://www.facebook.com/NatickElectricalApparatus

Best Guitar Cable money can buy GUITARTEC REPAIR at Barnstorm Music 98 Main St. (Rt. 109) Medway, MA 401 352-4653

I wonder how it will sound?
    Originally Posted by Frets99

All guitars cost $300.
    What you pay depends on the headstock.

Comment

my dad wants to build a guitar out of bamboo.

I wish he would, bamboo is pretty
      Guitars:Gibson Les Paul Standard FadedFender Roadworn '72 Deluxe TelecasterKramer StrikerAmplification:Titan Custom RetrofitRandall R412CSOfficial member of the Ninja Lows club

Comment

that makes for one skinny ass guitar, bamboo is what at most 1/8 inch thick?
        5 STAR GENERAL OF THE SG ARMY
        http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=1232460
        "WE ROCK THE WORLD"

great dealings with: jj pistols, Mr. goodbomb +1, splendor, puckman, mike fiasco +1, johnny z, minitruth, alley trash, teamodave, sxyryan, GUITAR HEEL, twisty571

definition of expert= an "ex" is something that once was. a "spurt" is a drip under pressure

the work begins again, the hope rise's a new,The dream lives on. E.M.Kennedy

Comment

Wow! Couldn't find any info on their website. A quick google search returned a Yamaha acoustic from 2000. Bambo makes sense as it's such an regenerative (invasive) species. However, I don't think it grows big enough to make a 3 piece body versus other regenerative species wuch as Paulwnia. We'll see, bamboo has caught on in the flooring industry...
          Will Chen Trio | FrugalGuitarist.com | FG on Facebook | Forum

Comment

Are they held together with thatching and mud? Punch a few holes here and there and it doubles as a flute? Folds out into a fishing pole? Comes with a set of Tiki glasses?
            Please visit my website www.treeguitarworks.com

Comment

Most likely put together like the bamboo baseball bats. Thousands of 1/4" by 1/4" strips glued together.

I'm skeptitcal though. Bamboo has some interesting properties such as the ability to flex and return to shape without residual oscilation. They've been making primo fly fishing rods for years out of this stuff for this reason. I would suspect that this would be a tone killing quality, but I guess time will tell.
              Good Day. I said Good Day!

Comment

Are they held together with thatching and mud? Punch a few holes here and there and it doubles as a flute? Folds out into a fishing pole? Comes with a set of Tiki glasses?

rotflmao!!!
                5 STAR GENERAL OF THE SG ARMY
                http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=1232460
                "WE ROCK THE WORLD"

great dealings with: jj pistols, Mr. goodbomb +1, splendor, puckman, mike fiasco +1, johnny z, minitruth, alley trash, teamodave, sxyryan, GUITAR HEEL, twisty571

definition of expert= an "ex" is something that once was. a "spurt" is a drip under pressure

the work begins again, the hope rise's a new,The dream lives on. E.M.Kennedy

Comment

I'm thinking maybe a hollowbody.
                  Good trades/transactions with: DARKMETL/, L6Sguy, Freeridstylee, ck3, Solcat, dolflundgren, tweedledee, _pete_, rawk out, GibsonQC, strangegrey, tomh777, Brendan, Mike Fiasco, Yavin

Comment

can't wait to check one out in person. i know bicycle builders who've made awesome bamboo bikes!

Comment

Say it with me.. Bambusa! BAM BOO SA!!!

Very cool idea, I love it. Hopefully they sound really nice so they can become mainstream.
                      1974 Ibanez Les Paul Custom
                      DigiTech GNX4 + Headphones
                      My jam clips are on my soundclick page.

Comment

It makes cool floors and cutting boards, dunno about guitars though.

Comment

You know, it's absolutely tragic that a company and website gets a mention in the NEWS, and you go to their site and there's not 1 single thing about it.

The only article on green guitars is an old one that does not concern bamboo.

What a massive missed opportunity for them
                          1974 Ibanez Les Paul Custom
                          DigiTech GNX4 + Headphones
                          My jam clips are on my soundclick page.

Comment

Most likely put together like the bamboo baseball bats. Thousands of 1/4" by 1/4" strips glued together.

I'm skeptitcal though. Bamboo has some interesting properties such as the ability to flex and return to shape without residual oscilation. They've been making primo fly fishing rods for years out of this stuff for this reason. I would suspect that this would be a tone killing quality, but I guess time will tell.

Perhaps the glue or resin is what gives it stiffness.
                            Please visit my website www.treeguitarworks.com

Comment

I built a guitar out of hemp, but I smoked it

Comment

Working...
                              X