Peavey Prowler 45 watt tube amp demo

Frets99

Been showcasing guitars on her without actually demoing her.

* 45 W @ 8 or 4 ohms

* External speaker capability

* 12-inch Blue Marvel speaker

* Reverb with level control

* Effects loop

* Rear-panel resonance control included for "tight or loose" cabinet response

I lifted this description from a HC User review:

"The Prowler features 2 Ruby (Chinese) 6L6GC power amplifier tubes and 2 12AX7 preamp tubes (Sovtek REAKTOR). High and low gain inputs, "bright" switch on the clean channel for treble boost, volume boost (subtle) and gain boost on the lead channel. Dampening switch on the back which just boosts the bass. Passive 3-band EQ on the clean channel, active 3-band on the lead channel. This is, in my mind, the amplifier's most impressive feature. In comparing this amp to its modern counterpart, the Valveking series, the Prowler lacks the Class A-AB "texture" controls, but the active equalization and independent EQ's for each channel that the Valveking lacks easily pulls this amp ahead in terms of versatility. That and it actually sounds good. Really good.

This amp also features a twin bank actual spring reverb which is situated in the bottom of the amplifier. The banks do not make lots of spring line noise for an onboard reverb unit. Plastic 2 button footswitch with channel selection and "boost" (gain boost for lead channel, bright (treble) boost for clean), same design as the newer Valveking series.

The only feature that this amplifier would seriously profit from is tube bias adjustability. I'd rate this category at a 9.6 solely do to fixed tube bias."

Prowler.jpg

Rig01.jpg

Used my Squier 51 bridge pup for the demo.

[YOUTUBE]eciz9XYHVkY[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

As I've said before frets, I really think that is a neat amp - especially considering how cheap they are on the used market! A total steal! You've got the really warm clean tone, and a full range of distortion from mild to heavy that's really nicely voiced. It's not too stiff sounding, but it's tight enough that it still sounds good when it gets heavy. Not muddy at all either.

As I've said before frets, I really think that is a neat amp - especially considering how cheap they are on the used market! A total steal! You've got the really warm clean tone, and a full range of distortion from mild to heavy that's really nicely voiced. It's not too stiff sounding, but it's tight enough that it still sounds good when it gets heavy. Not muddy at all either.

Thanks, you're one of the guys who produces and appreciates tones I love. I do believe this amp was a great find!

• Members

Yeah, a Prowler with upgraded tubes and a Celestion speaker is my main amp right now. I mostly use an original Tonelab directly into the FX return which basically bypasses everything except the power amp tubes, but I used to go into the front of the amp. In typical 6L6-based Peavey tube amp fashion, it sounds a lot better to me with a pedal on the clean channel than on the gain channel and it's geared toward higher gain use than I usually get into these days, but I grew up with Peavey amps, both SS and tube so I have that instinctive love for them, even if I'm less than 100% happy with their tone.

I got mine for $160 used from the original owner with upgraded power tubes. I replaced the preamp tubes, 2 of them with AT7s rather than AX7s and I must admit... as much as I like Peavey amps, those Blue Marvels are pretty atrocious speakers. It's the type of deal where the stock amp sounds good... maybe even bordering on great, but if you replace the speaker with pretty much any Jensen, Celestion or a REAL Eminence, the different is pretty staggering. $50 for the speaker and $25 for 2 preamp tubes and it went from an amp that I tolerated, to an amp I have no reason to replace... Unless it was a substantial step up or a much lower wattage.

• Members

Thanks, you're one of the guys who produces and appreciates tones I love. I do believe this amp was a great find!

You know, Frets. That is basically just the little brother to my Ultra 112. Looks almost exactly the same, with all the same wizbangs except mine is 60 watts and not 40. Also has a Celestion G12T75. I love mine to death too. Awesome, awesome tones.

112-2.jpg

--PB

Yeah, a Prowler with upgraded tubes and a Celestion speaker is my main amp right now. I mostly use an original Tonelab directly into the FX return which basically bypasses everything except the power amp tubes, but I used to go into the front of the amp. In typical 6L6-based Peavey tube amp fashion, it sounds a lot better to me with a pedal on the clean channel than on the gain channel and it's geared toward higher gain use than I usually get into these days, but I grew up with Peavey amps, both SS and tube so I have that instinctive love for them, even if I'm less than 100% happy with their tone.

I got mine for $160 used from the original owner with upgraded power tubes. I replaced the preamp tubes, 2 of them with AT7s rather than AX7s and I must admit... as much as I like Peavey amps, those Blue Marvels are pretty atrocious speakers. It's the type of deal where the stock amp sounds good... maybe even bordering on great, but if you replace the speaker with pretty much any Jensen, Celestion or a REAL Eminence, the different is pretty staggering. $50 for the speaker and $25 for 2 preamp tubes and it went from an amp that I tolerated, to an amp I have no reason to replace... Unless it was a substantial step up or a much lower wattage.

I'm gonna keep that in mind. :thu:

Archived