25.5 vs. 24.75 Scale Guitars - Pros & Cons

mtuck

• Members

The only guitars I've ever played that were 24 3/4 were Les Pauls. I'm considering buying a Dean ML 79F, which not only is 24 3/4 but also has a Floyd in it. I don't really know what the difference is between the two scales other than string tension is looser on the 24 3/4. But what other variables come into play when you put a Floyd on it? Looking forward to hearing from those that have some knowledge on the subject. Thanks in advance.

• Members

i'd think string tension is a bit higher on the longer scale guitars, which is why sometimes when people play both they usually put a gauge lower on the longer scale

i.e. 11's on a strat, 9's-10's on a les paul.

but i could be wrong. I dig the feel of a 25.5" scale guitar over shorter scales. It's all in the feeling

• Members

String tension is greater on a long-scale guitar. Bends are also harder as a consequence. So if you're playing 10s on your Gibson, you'd probably prefer

9s on your Fender.

Tonally - long-scale usually has a tighter bass tone and better definition from top to bottom. Short-scale is a bit muddier and more forgiving to play. Many find that long-scale instruments make better rhythm instruments - the tone lays better in the mix without being overly loud.

Both have their place and both create great tones.

Floyds are usually seen on long-scale guitars. I know little about them but figure there is a reason - maybe it's because most long-scale instruments are bolt-ons. But in the world of guitars, there are no rules when it comes to personal preference.

Greg

• Members

I dig em all pretty equally... they're like slightly different personalities.

With a floating Floyd Rose, sometimes you have to bend the strings a whisker farther to be on key because the bridge will give a little as you bend.... which can also flatten any other notes that you have ringing at the same time.

• Members

Like others have said, the longer scale guitar is going to be spankier in the top end, with more tension at any given guage. I used to do the 1 guage lighter thing on my 25.5s but now just put 11s on everything.

Really, the tension and minor tonal differences are the only issues. I guess the frets on 24.75 are like .2% closer together or something. go play it and see what you think. Neither is right or wrong

• Members

The 3/4" difference in the scale length means you have longer strings sounding and, IMO, deeper more majestic bass and more complex treble response in a 25.5 vs. 24.75. It gives the Strat its signature tone and its thundering bass. The smaller scale on the Gibson l think lends to its punchier and to many people more satisfying fat tones The smaller scale length of the 24.75" scale generally bears less string tension and is thus easier to play at least in my experience. Compare playing a J-45 Rosewood and a D-28; you work harder with a D-28 because the tension is higher but it produces a much louder more complex tone than the Gibson I think.

Archived