No announcement yet.

25.5 vs. 24.75 Scale Guitars - Pros & Cons

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25.5 vs. 24.75 Scale Guitars - Pros & Cons

The only guitars I've ever played that were 24 3/4 were Les Pauls. I'm considering buying a Dean ML 79F, which not only is 24 3/4 but also has a Floyd in it. I don't really know what the difference is between the two scales other than string tension is looser on the 24 3/4. But what other variables come into play when you put a Floyd on it? Looking forward to hearing from those that have some knowledge on the subject. Thanks in advance.
    Rock on, bitches!

Matt from Titusville, FL

My gear (worth mentioning): Dean ML79-F, Fernandes Revolver Pro, Peavey 6505+, Behringer Ultragraph Pro FBQ3102, TC Electronic G-Major, Avatar G212H Special

It's really about how each feels to you. Pretty much a personal preference thing.
    No sig.

Comment

I think the string tension is lower on the 25.5. The 24.75 has a more trebly voice IMO.
      Originally Posted by redundantshrimp

inglorious basterds is going to be so good that when I go see it at the movie theatre, I'm going to wear a poncho just in case people's heads start exploding from the awesomeness.

My Rig!

Guitars:

Aria MAC 50 w/ SD Super Distort in bridge
      Aria STG-006 (needs new pickups)
      A few POS fixer uppers

Amps:
      Vox DA20
      Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine Preamp
      Tech 21 Powerengine 60

Effects:
      Dunlop 535Q Wah
      Boss GE-7 EQ

Anti-Spam
      '52 Reissue Tele
      20-40 watt Fender clean amp.

Comment

i'd think string tension is a bit higher on the longer scale guitars, which is why sometimes when people play both they usually put a gauge lower on the longer scale

i.e. 11's on a strat, 9's-10's on a les paul.

but i could be wrong. I dig the feel of a 25.5" scale guitar over shorter scales. It's all in the feeling
        Proud member of the Dano-Mafia

Guitars: Epiphone G1275 Doubleneck, '56 Danelectro U2 Reissue, Charvel Model 1A, Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass, Gretsch Americana Showdown
        Amps: Ampeg VT22, Marshall MG50CDR
        Pedals: Peterson SS2, GGG Green Big Muff, Fulltone OCD v2, EHX LPB1

Comment

String tension is greater on a long-scale guitar. Bends are also harder as a consequence. So if you're playing 10s on your Gibson, you'd probably prefer
          9s on your Fender.

Tonally - long-scale usually has a tighter bass tone and better definition from top to bottom. Short-scale is a bit muddier and more forgiving to play. Many find that long-scale instruments make better rhythm instruments - the tone lays better in the mix without being overly loud.

Both have their place and both create great tones.

Floyds are usually seen on long-scale guitars. I know little about them but figure there is a reason - maybe it's because most long-scale instruments are bolt-ons. But in the world of guitars, there are no rules when it comes to personal preference.

Greg

Comment

I dig em all pretty equally... they're like slightly different personalities.

With a floating Floyd Rose, sometimes you have to bend the strings a whisker farther to be on key because the bridge will give a little as you bend.... which can also flatten any other notes that you have ringing at the same time.

Comment

Like others have said, the longer scale guitar is going to be spankier in the top end, with more tension at any given guage. I used to do the 1 guage lighter thing on my 25.5s but now just put 11s on everything.

Really, the tension and minor tonal differences are the only issues. I guess the frets on 24.75 are like .2% closer together or something. go play it and see what you think. Neither is right or wrong
              The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.

Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt

Those who oppose all reform will do well to remember that ruin in its worst form is inevitable if our national life brings us nothing better than swollen fortunes for the few and the triumph in both politics and business of a sordid and selfish materialism.

Comment

i used to think i loved the shorter scale length(25.1), but my tele and strat beg me to play them, and i may be selling my ibanez shortly.
                Originally Posted by Standard8

Other girls in the future will look down on you for hooking up with this girl. It's like credit card pussy. You get some now, but you give up much more pussy in the future by spending your cock-budget now.

Originally Posted by GnR102385

If we were talking second cousin I wouldn't even have that moment where I thought "Wait, this is ****************ed up right?" before I plowed it like an Amish field.

Originally Posted by chainsaw fats

...picking on Crab_Cake for not thinking is the equivalent of putting a trip-wire on the bottom step of the short bus.

Comment

The 3/4" difference in the scale length means you have longer strings sounding and, IMO, deeper more majestic bass and more complex treble response in a 25.5 vs. 24.75. It gives the Strat its signature tone and its thundering bass. The smaller scale on the Gibson l think lends to its punchier and to many people more satisfying fat tones The smaller scale length of the 24.75" scale generally bears less string tension and is thus easier to play at least in my experience. Compare playing a J-45 Rosewood and a D-28; you work harder with a D-28 because the tension is higher but it produces a much louder more complex tone than the Gibson I think.

Comment

The difference between 24.75 and 25.5" scales on a 22 fret neck = 3/100" per fret. I think that people make way too big of a deal about scale length.

Comment

Really it comes down to what feels right to you.

Comment

Working...
                      X