why is it considered wrong to play jazz on a les paul?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I mean i know it's a faux pas and all but i think you can get a convincing jazz tone out of an lp especially with the right pickups and the right settings.why is it so wrong?
:confused:

It's not the guitar but the player. I've done Jazz on a LP for 20 years.

• Members

My buds a Jazz player and he just loves his LP Classic. The 500/496 combo works surprisingly well for the standards and original Jazz/Blues Arrangements he plays.

You can even get close woody like semi/hollow tones with a couple of slight guitar volume and tone adjustments.

But I have wondered why their arent more known artists using them over the years.

IMO the LP as well as a Strat can play into any Genre and quite easily. Especially in the Right hands.

True of most guitars in my experience though.

• Members

It sounds like most of you haven't heard that les paul is inappropriate for jazz.I've heard it on more than one occasion,and you certainly don't see a lot of jazz players using them.i know les paul himself uses one but it's not very common.just today i read on the gear page some guy selling his r8 because he's mostly a jazz player now and no longer needs a les paul.

• Members

most well known 50-60's type guitars and a decent amp will get a jazz tone mainly because they were designed for the music that was played at the time and had lower output pickups compared to the later shredding types with hot pickups .The hard bits playing jazz not getting the tone right .I would certainly play Jazz on a Les Paul if I had one .I do have a Tele and a Dot and both are fine for soft chordy melodic Jazz .Both use Tonerider pickups. ,Vintage plus and Rocksongs respectively

• Members

I mean i know it's a faux pas and all but i think you can get a convincing jazz tone out of an lp especially with the right pickups and the right settings.why is it so wrong?
:confused:

:rolleyes: Where have you been getting your disinformation?

Somebody needs to go tell Mr. Les Paul himself that he's been wrong all these years. Hurry up! There's no time to waste.

• Members

more specifically, the Recording model, which has been out of production for 30 years.

That's the model he uses now - he played plenty of jazz on a Goldtop, on a Custom....those are 2 that I know I've seen him with...

• Members
:rolleyes:
Where have you been getting your disinformation?

Somebody needs to go tell Mr. Les Paul himself that he's been wrong all these years. Hurry up! There's no time to waste.

ok aside from les paul,you really can't name very many jazz players who use an lp for jazz.... and i'm not talking fusion i'm talking straight up jazz.

• Members

Chief_Ten_Beers, I have no idea where you get your information. Les Pauls can do jazz, blues, rock, even metal. I hope you don't just come up with this stuff in your head and try to pass it off as common knowledge? That's how bad information spreads on the internet.

• Members

Since most jazz is played in restaurants, restaurant managers expect to see a "jazz guitar" -- some kind of hollow body with f-holes. Play a Les Paul, and you'll have problems getting the most important gig for jazz musicians.

Restaurant managers are the arbiters of jazz guitar aesthetics.

Though jazz can be played on any instrument and on any guitar, there is an image that people associate with jazz guitar -- that can't be denied. Even in the jazz guitar community itself, a very conservative bunch in general, when someone says that they need to get a "jazz guitar" everyone has an idea that that means hollowbody with f-holes.

I wish it weren't true. :(

Archived