EMG 81/85s for blues, classic rock, and hard rock? Opinions?

guitarman3001

• Members

If anyone saw my other thread, I've been dying to get the Epiphone SG Prophecy guitar. They have a black one with EMGs in it pictured here:

544912.jpg

And a red one with Dirty Fingers pickups set up with a coil tap pictured here:

540845.jpg

My dilemma - I like both of them but like the black a little better. Couple of problems though - I'm worried that for the type of music my band plays - blues, classic rock, stuff like dire straits (sultans of swing), some AC/DC, black sabbath (war pigs), the doors, eddie money, SRV, BB king, nugent, cheap trick, aerosmith, ZZ top, etc.. - that the EMGs won't be the best pickups for that kind of stuff.

So I figured I'd get the red one with Dirty Fingers. However, it seems that the red one is more of a phantom guitar that may or may not ever be available. MF keeps changing the available date every day. Every day they just keep moving it back to the next day. Basically, it'll be available perpetually tomorrow.

So, how would the EMGs sound with the type of music I'm playing? BTW, I currently play an epi LP custom with a duncan JB on the bridge.

• Members

Love the black one.
:love:

Just ordered it! :thu:

They didn't have any more blems on the website but I figured I'd call them just in case. Turns out they had 1 in stock that wasn't on the website yet. $466 and change.

Should have it by Wednesday!

As for the pickups, well, I'm a hard rock/metal player by nature who just happens to be playing in a classic rock/blues cover band. As it is I play with a much heavier sound than a regular blues sound anyway, so..... f*ck em if they can't take a little heaviness! :evil: Staying true to my roots! Worse case scenario I do what someone else recommended. Change pups and sell the EMGs. :thu:

Now the wait begins..... :rawk:

• Members

Swap the 81 and 85 so the 85 is in the bridge. I REALLY like the 85/89 for bridge work. It sounds great for really high gain metal, but with the gain down, it can do hard rock very well.

How do you swap them?

Sadly, for as long as I've been playing I have to admit I have no idea how to do that. I've installed two pickups in my entire life, both were passive and were a direct replacement of another passive pickup. Took me a lot longer than I care to admit.

Are the EMGs easy to swap? I've been reading a lot of reviews on them and a lot of people seem to agree with you that the 85 sounds great in the bridge.

I'm hoping they're easy to swap positions.

• Members

Luckily, they are pretty easy to swap. EMGs nowadays have a Quick Connect system. You should be able to simply unplug the pickups, move them, plug them back in, and restring your guitar.

Sweet. And they come from the factory with that quick connect system?

Archived