The end of Paypal

Cletus Spuckle

• Members

At least the end of paypal for me.

I was buying an item for a forumite via paypal. He accidently have me an incorrect email address for his account and I sent money there. He then contacted me with his correct address and an apology.

I cancelled the bad transaction and paid the correct account. When I looked at my checking account today, I found that both transactions were drawn from my bank. I did these transactions on May 8th and here it is May 12 and they are still tapping my bank account for a transaction that I cancelled four days ago.

I know I'll get my money back within a week, but with all the other bad paypal stories, I'm cancelling my account. Now I learn that paypal is bad for the seller and bad for the buyer. No amount of convenience is worth dealing with Paypal.

• Members

i hate that crap. like if i return something to a store where i paid for it with my credit card, it takes a week or more for the $$ to show up, however it only takes about 0.01 of a second to take it out to start with!

they say "oh it takes time to process it" BS!!!! if they do that to one million people, thats a nice chunk of change sitting around in some bank account collecting interest.

• Members

I refuse to use PayPal... they bungled one too many transactions for me. Long delays in getting partial (I repeat partial) refunds from eBay scammers are part of it too.

I hear that eBay is going to eliminate all other types of payments in the near future, and will only accept PayPal transactions. eBay owns PayPal, so it'd going to be interesting to see if they lose business when they make this change. I know they'll permanently lose me as a buyer. :poke:

• Members

why would it take longer than a regular transaction?
:confused:

I just does.. You'd think in today's age of instant money transfers, it would be as simple as click, click, done.. Alas, as with anything where a bank is involved, there are forms to complete, people to approve it and blah blah blah.. Going one way is easy, but the other way takes a bit of effort. I too think the OP is being WAY unreasonable.. Blame the buyer for starting you out with bad info, not the bank. How does Paypal know you aren't scamming someone? How do they know you didn't pay for an item, get it shipped and are trying to pull their funds by claiming you made a booboo? Happens all the time I'm sure. They're just covering their ass.

• Members

i hate that crap. like if i return something to a store where i paid for it with my credit card, it takes a week or more for the $$ to show up, however it only takes about 0.01 of a second to take it out to start with!

they say "oh it takes time to process it" BS!!!! if they do that to one million people, thats a nice chunk of change sitting around in some bank account collecting interest.

Bingo!

• Members

just use your credit card with paypal. if you ever get jipped, your credit card company will back your ass up and come through almost guaranteed. dont rely on paypal alone to recover funds.

a lot of bad experiences people have, could have been avoided if they take extra precautions, like making sure the other party is paypal verified, or has an account that is at least a year old. making sure eCheck payments clear before sending the item, ect...

as long as its still the most commonly used method of online payment for personal trading, i'll be using it. google checkout could have dethroned paypal, but they made the stupid mistake of requiring a special sellers account to accept payments.

• Members

At least the end of paypal for me.

I was buying an item for a forumite via paypal. He accidently have me an incorrect email address for his account and I sent money there. He then contacted me with his correct address and an apology.

I cancelled the bad transaction and paid the correct account. When I looked at my checking account today, I found that both transactions were drawn from my bank. I did these transactions on May 8th and here it is May 12 and they are still tapping my bank account for a transaction that I cancelled four days ago.

I know I'll get my money back within a week, but with all the other bad paypal stories, I'm cancelling my account. Now I learn that paypal is bad for the seller and bad for the buyer. No amount of convenience is worth dealing with Paypal.

I agree, but your account may not actually be closed unless you close

the linked bank account or CC. I'd closed an account over the phone and

six months later someone accidentally sent money to it. Imagine MY surprise.

Account was "inactive". They claim it was closed, but IDK.

FU PP!:mad:

• Members

why would it take longer than a regular transaction?
:confused:

Because it's a refund. Refunds ALWAYS take longer. (banks, credit cards, etc.)

Frankly, unless I can pay cash in hand for something on ebay, I will NOT bid on an item where the seller won't take PayPal. To me that tells me something is sketchy and I have no money back guarantee if something happens. Yeah, I know people have problems, but it's the best safety net you can find, IMO.

• Members

I like PayPal, personally.

They've always been very reliable, and whenever some asshole files an unreasonable claim against me (eBay, etc.), they always side with me.

I gotta give 'em props until they give me a reason not to do so.

oh this looks like it might be fun :deadhorse:

:snax:

• Members

To blindly accept the fact that refunds always take longer and to say the reason for this is "It just does" is exactly why refunds really do take longer.

I've worked for a multinational bank for four years and I can tell you with absolute honesty that to do a refund you really do just go 'click click' and bang, it's done. We don't like to do that though, because nobody has made a fuss about it yet....

• Members

If PP wasn't so damn convinient I wouldn't use it but it's so much easier than sending a Money Order across the country if I need something quickly. I personally only take Money Orders when I sell stuff though, I've gotten screwed on PP a number of times as a seller and won't let it happen again.

• Members

For the couple of guys who say I'm unreasonable, they may be right. I'll wait for my money and I'm sure I'll get it back.

But...

I sent money to an account that doesn't exist. I immediately cancelled the transaction. What I'm curious about is why they continued the transaction days after I cancelled it.

• Members

My brother just got his paypal going so he could buy some parts for his R/C car. He had deposited money into his Paypal account so he wouldn't spend it in the mean time. When it came to transaction time Paypal decided to take it out of his bank instead. $150 in NSF charges from the bank. Immediately he froze his bank account and phoned Paypal. They wouldn't take it out of his Paypal account for some dumb {censored}ing reason and they said they were going to try to take it out of his bank again. A few days later they tried again and obviously failed. THEN they finally took it out of his Paypal account like he requested in the first place. The $150 in NSF charges were dropped but what a headache.

I would like to say never again but Paypal is way to handy.

• Members

I'm not a big fan of Paypal either. I've had a couple bad experiences. The last time they compromised the security of my credit card and it started a whole chain reaction of problems. I had bought something online and when I get an e-mail of the recipt, it shows my mailing address with my freaking credit card number in it. I immediately called them and when I eventually got through to a real human being she brings it up on her screen and says "this is REALLY bad!" So she goes to check with a supervisor and she says that I have to close out that credit card and get a new one. That was inconvenient enough, but I was using that card for auto-payments in a lot of places and without going into a lot of detail, things really got screwed up around that in the next month or so. I'd prefer not to use Paypal anymore, but there's not a lot of choice in some situations.

• Members

To be honest with you, I think you're being completely unreasonable. Transaction reversal takes longer than 4 BUSINESS days, and today is Monday. So, a total of maybe, what, 2 biz days have transpired?

Sorry bro, you are completely wrong. When I worked for a bank a few years ago, those transactions processed every night at midnight. Now, it is even faster. If a company says that it takes "up to a week" to "process" a refund, then they are just trying to tell you that so they do not have to get in a hurry. After all...if you keep someone else's money in the bank a few extra days, then that's money the company makes in interest.

It's like paying a $25 "activation fee" for a new cell phone. Seriously? They type your info in the computer, press a couple buttons, and that's it. Just a simple way to yet again gouge the customer....

...and for the record, I Hate Paypal, and ebay. They have both gone down the tubes, IMO.

Archived