New Guitar Build In Progress

larryguitar

• Members

Or the 'Why I Can't Play Worth a Damn' thread. If I spend as long playing as I do making dust, I'd be....well, I'd still suck....but I might be better. A little.

Specs-

25 1/2" scale, 24 fret

Set neck

Ash body (two piece from one board)

Hard maple neck (scarf and heel block from same piece as neck)

Pau Ferro fingerboard

Brass dot fingerboard inlays

Long tenon (a bit shorter than it could have been, ultimately; I was contemplating routing for a P90 in the neck)

Thinking of a simple gun oil on the neck and either tung or shellac on the body. It's never going to travel, so I can go for 'feel' rather than protection.

Pix-

Rough Routing

P1010486.jpg

P1010485.jpg

Test fitting neck

P1010017.jpg

P1010014.jpg

After Neck Set

P1010001-1.jpg

P1010003-1.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010006-1.jpg

I'm hoping the ash/maple combo gets a bright, sort of 'ringing' tone with a nice medium hot humbucker in the bridge. I'm going for a nice, 80's superstrat rock sound; any pickup suggestions would be welcome.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:thu::thu::thu::thu::thu::thu::thu::thu:

Looking good!

Ash and maple will sound awesome! I would get a set of pickups from Brian - just been playing the "smoke stacks" I got about 6 weeks ago... they sound great but I wanted to play them a while before I made up my mind. Nail the 70's rock tone.

If you want hotter (you did say 80's?) just get him to overwind them some more.. :)

I love watching a bunch of wood come together to make a guitar. Awesome!

AJC

• Members

:thu:

Looking good!

Ash and maple will sound awesome! I would get a set of pickups from Brian - just been playing the "smoke stacks" I got about 6 weeks ago... they sound great but I wanted to play them a while before I made up my mind. Nail the 70's rock tone.

If you want hotter (you did say 80's?) just get him to overwind them some more..
:)

I love watching a bunch of wood come together to make a guitar. Awesome!

AJC

Wow, AJ, from you that's very, very cool. Thanks!

I'd like to get a set from BG-gotta' check with the boss. ;)

• Members

Thanks for the kind comments.

I did the fretboard myself. It's a 16" radius; I'm starting to enjoy flatter fretboards, I think.

Now that I have a system set up to do them (it's homemade, but pretty cool, IMHO) it takes me about twenty minutes for a board. Not my favorite part of the process, but it lets you choose the wood you'll use, rather than being limited to what you can buy pre-slotted and radiused.

Hoping to get some more done tonight, if work ever lets up! :)

• Members

How does the Pau Ferro compare to Rosewood? Is it less porous? Does it compare to Ebony?

Pau Ferro is sold locally to me as 'Bolivian Rosewood', but it's not a true rosewood (IOW, it's not in the Dalbergia family.)

The stuff I've seen is a bit harder and closer grained than most of the rosewood (generally Indian) that's available. It feels just a bit slicker, like ebony does, and it's a dream to finish and fret. I really like it.

Archived