Questions for ajcholic, atrox, and other builders etc...

als_lespaul

• Members

I'm currently in the process of purchasing components to build my strat project and have a couple of questions for you seasoned builders. When ordering a truss rod, specifically the hot-rod 2-way adjustable for stew-mac, is it advisable to get the 1/8" or the 1/4"?

Fretwire. What are your preferences on fretwire?

And, if you don't mind, have any of you built a guitar with a compound radius fretboard? Any general opinions on compound radius?

Thanks!

• Members

I'm currently in the process of purchasing components to build my strat project and have a couple of questions for you seasoned builders. When ordering a truss rod, specifically the hot-rod 2-way adjustable for stew-mac, is it advisable to get the 1/8" or the 1/4"?

Fretwire. What are your preferences on fretwire?

And, if you don't mind, have any of you built a guitar with a compound radius fretboard? Any general opinions on compound radius?

Thanks!

I buy the 1/8". The rods are the same, its the diameter of the head, the part that accepts the Allen wrench/key for adustment. I find the 1/8 more than adequate and easier to bury in the headstock (since it is just a little wider than the rod itself).

I love the Stewmac "medium/higher" wire after trying both larger and smaller wire. Its a not as wide as jumbo, but as tall. Lots of meat for a redress later on.

Yes, its not that difficult. You just have to sand the board to varying radii along the way. You can do it with a flat block and radius guages. Its subtle and not that much material has to be removed.

AJC

• Members

I buy the 1/8". The rods are the same, its the diameter of the head, the part that accepts the Allen wrench/key for adustment. I find the 1/8 more than adequate and easier to bury in the headstock (since it is just a little wider than the rod itself).

I love the Stewmac "medium/higher" wire after trying both larger and smaller wire. Its a not as wide as jumbo, but as tall. Lots of meat for a redress later on.

Yes, its not that difficult. You just have to sand the board to varying radii along the way. You can do it with a flat block and radius guages. Its subtle and not that much material has to be removed.

AJC

A.J. is about the best one to ask.

I love compound radius fingerboards, but that is probably the only part of any build I dont like to do myself.

I just order them already shaped and slotted from Stewmac, but I do love them.

I certainly wouldnt want to discourage you from trying to make your own, but was unsure form your post if you were including the actuall making of a compound radius board as opposed to just getting oppinions on whether people liked thm of not.

Anyway, good luck, and HCEG law says, you must post a thread documenting the build proccess with plenty of pics.

• Members

A.J. is about the best one to ask.

I love compound radius fingerboards, but that is probably the only part of any build I dont like to do myself.

I just order them already shaped and slotted from Stewmac, but I do love them.

I certainly wouldnt want to discourage you from trying to make your own, but was unsure form your post if you were including the actuall making of a compound radius board as opposed to just getting oppinions on whether people liked thm of not.

Anyway, good luck, and HCEG law says, you must post a thread documenting the build proccess with plenty of pics.

Yes sir! I am a law-abiding citizen:thu: Yeah, I'm planning on purchasing a pre-slotted pre-radiused board from stew-mac. Plus, I wanted to hear some opinions in general. Thanks!

Archived