Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here actually PLAYED a vintage guitar?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here actually PLAYED a vintage guitar?

Did you ever get to spend five minutes plunking away on a pre-CBS Strat?

Or perhaps today you are the lucky owner of a '59 LP flametop?

Either way, what was it like? How did it compare with its modern equivalent (if indeed there is one)?

For the purposes of this thread, let's consider anything that was manufactured pre-1970 as 'vintage'. I know this isn't the official definition of 'vintage', and it may not be everyone's idea of what it should mean, but we gotta draw the line somewhere. Exceptions shall be considered if accompanied by a particularly interesting anecdote, insight, or pic of a bird with a nice arse

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on..."
    - Billy Connolly

I've played several vintage guitars that were highly valuable and absolutely none of them played well. Granted it could just be that they haven't been setup in 40 years but they didn't have the feel that you get with a newer/modern guitar.

It was pretty cool to hold it though...
    My LOST Podcast

Song Samples:
    One More Day
    Always
    The One

My Videos:
    The One Solo
    Always Solo
    Line Solo

Equipment:
    Fender American Deluxe Strat
    '92 Gibson Explorer
    Martin DM Acoustic
    Fender Squier Strat
    SX SJB-57 Jazz Bass
    Line 6/Bogner Spider Valve 112

http://AgeeDesign.com
    http://EvanAgee.com
    Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Yes. A friend has a very nice collection and one he handed me a very old Fender Strat. I have no idea what year it was. He was very excited about it. I did not like it since it was too noisy

Comment

Yes but at that time they were new, and I've owned a few, still have some too. Like my 64 Strat but my 66 335 was the best.
        The biggest obstacle to your success is you.

Comment

Interesting.

Closest I've come so far is holding a '52 Goldtop which had:

- Replacement tuners
          - Replacement nut
          - A refret
          - Replacement pickups
          - Replacement hardware
          - Replacement electronics

Basically a 55-year-old neck and body. What I will say is that it was a damn sight lighter than a modern solidbody LP - almost as light as a modern chambered LP Standard.

Not many pre-CBS Strats around these here parts. I only know of one for sale in Scotland!
          "Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on..."
          - Billy Connolly

Comment

Yes but at that time they were new, and I've owned a few, still have some too. Like my 64 Strat but my 66 335 was the best.
            Cool. I'd love to see pics of those...
            - Billy Connolly

Comment

I played a '50-something Tele once.

I was a really really nice guitar.

Comment

Had a few 60's Voxs. Dreadfull things. Not a patch on the reissues like Phantom guitars in the US

I think old is overrated in many cases. Top of the line stuff maybe. But old for old, not for me. The 70's Japanese stuff can be pretty cool though.,
                Del

Comment

I got a 1967 Gibson ES-335 for free when I was 20.

Comment

I can spend five minutes plunking on a pre-CBS Strat whenever I want to. In fact, I can plunk on it as long as I like (provided volume levels are tolerable to my psychotic neighbour, and to the lady of the house). My beloved black 1963 Strat is currently the only vintage guitar I own*, tho' in the past I've had:
                    Another 63 Strat (stolen, sad to say)
                    1968 ES355 (traded for the above stolen 63 Strat)
                    1967 Gibson Trini Lopez Standard (sold due to financial emergency)
                    1963 SG Jr (sold because I was a dumbass, and to offset purchase of ES355)
                    1966 Jaguar (sold because, frankly, I didn't like it much)
                    1963 Gibson B25-12 acoustic (stolen)
                    Two different '76/'77 Telecasters (not really vintage at the time -- it was in 1977/8)
                    1967 Mustang (ditto -- it was 1968)

All of them -- apart from the Jag and the Mustang, which didn't suit me and which I don't miss -- I preferred to their modern incarnations. They seemed -- how can I put this? -- looser. Funkier. More relaxed. Slinkier. Not so stiff. Compared to a modern guitar, a vintage one seems to have smoked a joint, had a couple of glasses of wine and started to feel slightly horny.

After a decade or so in my custody, my 1997 MIJ Jerry Donahue Tele is starting to feel like that. And my Custom Shop Jeff Beck was well on the road to that kind of vibe the moment I first pulled it out of the case (I guess that's a large chunk of what you pay for when you go CS).

*And, at current vintage prices, it's safe to say that I'll probably never be able to afford another one.
                    http://charlesshaarmurray.com/

Originally Posted by Spike

He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You Englishmen are all so ... bloody hell ... sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks ... oh no, I'm ENGLISH!

Originally Posted by Lucio

everyone has different gear and stuff like this tends to be quite subjective.

Originally Posted by Captain Jack Sparrow

Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness.

Honorary Granddaughter: FerdinandStrat

Comment

Had the opportunity to purchase a '69 LP Custom for $2G a decade ago.

I played and played that guitar...but in the end, I couldn't afford it. It was magical.

Comment

I was a really really nice guitar.
                        Like, in a past life?

I wonder - if I do a lot of bad stuff, will I come back in another life as an Encore Strat...?

Just as well I don't believe in reincarnation.

I do believe in miracles, though. You sexy thing.
                        - Billy Connolly

Comment

A refin 1960 Strat [original parts]
                          2 chopped Teles [1965 Tele Custom and 1966 Esquire] [both were really unoriginal]
                          1969 Tele [stock]
                          1968 Mustang [stock]
                          1968 LP Goldtop [stock]
                          others I can't remember
                          and about 35 different 70s Strats, Teles, Jazzmasters and the odd P Bass.
                          -Will

Guitars: Suhr Modern, Tom Anderson Drop Top T, Heritage Custom Shop H535 Classic, MANN Les Paul Special (MIJ lawsuit) Ibanez RG7620, Martin 0015M
                          Amplification: Bogner Ecstasy 101B/Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 (V30s) Hughes and Kettner TubeMeister 18 combo

Obligatory Facebook link:
                          https://www.facebook.com/KingLoudness

BUY MY ALBUM HERE:
                          http://willhansenguitar.bandcamp.com/

Comment

I used to own a 1967 ES-345 with the varitone disabled. It was cool, but (and I know that this is an apples to oranges comparison) simply not as good a guitar as the McInturffs I owned at the time. They're all gone now, and sometimes I do miss them.
                            "We're born again, there's new grass on the field" - John Fogerty

Comment

Had the opportunity to purchase a '69 LP Custom for $2G a decade ago.

I played and played that guitar...but in the end, I couldn't afford it. It was magical.

A friend of mine owns one. It was valued at
                              http://charlesshaarmurray.com/

Originally Posted by Spike

He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You Englishmen are all so ... bloody hell ... sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks ... oh no, I'm ENGLISH!

Originally Posted by Lucio

everyone has different gear and stuff like this tends to be quite subjective.

Originally Posted by Captain Jack Sparrow

Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness.

Honorary Granddaughter: FerdinandStrat

Comment

Working...
                              X