S101 guitars?

chimi

• Members

I've seen a few on ebay for the price of an SX. The tele caught my eye especially. The hedstock says The light Crust Doughboys on it ( i guess it's some kind of special run?). I was wonering if anyone has any experience with s101 guitars. They have some nice looking models. I've been in the hunt for a tele or strat and they have both with prices rivaling sx. Anyone have any experience with them? What are the pros and cons? How big are the necks and frets?

• Members

A friend of mine has a S101 bass that he really likes and said that the store he got it from stocks quite a few S101's and that they can be really nice. Very hit or miss QC on the guitars from all I have heard - a lot like SX in that regards.

I've seen a few on ebay for the price of an SX. The tele caught my eye especially. The hedstock says The light Crust Doughboys on it ( i guess it's some kind of special run?). I was wonering if anyone has any experience with s101 guitars. They have some nice looking models. I've been in the hunt for a tele or strat and they have both with prices rivaling sx. Anyone have any experience with them? What are the pros and cons? How big are the necks and frets?

Somebody here ordered one of those and I thought I read where someone else had one and after a tweak or two it played really well.

• Members

Blueshawk1 just bought a Tele. And I just bought a Strat. I think both are supposed to be delivered this week. My singer has a Tele. It's okay. I had to fix the bridge, but it plays just fine for her. Not a great guitar, but .... $100 shipped. It'll be my first truly "cheap" guitar.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I just bought one from Barry Clark Music in Wisconsin so I'll let you know when I receive it.

Doing a little looking around the band, the Light Crusted Doughboys, are still alive and well and performing in Texas. They have an interesting history as they were originally a promotional Texas Swing band for a flour company in East Texas, hence the name.

Going over to Art Greenshaws International Fan Club site (I felt honored to enter the inner sanctum of Light Crusted Flour Doughboydom) he is seen holding a guitar very much like what I bought. Evidently, the band and their adoring fans want to promote the myth and legend of the LCFD by keeping it alive through the sale of these commemorative guitars.

The only thing I thought odd was their fixation with the seductive, yet well-seasoned Ann Margaret. I'm not sure what the connection with her is, but that's another story. Hope this helps

• Members

The only thing I thought odd was their fixation with the seductive, yet well-seasoned Ann Margaret. I'm not sure what the connection with her is, but that's another story. Hope this helps

Grumpy Old Men. Remember? :D

Congrats!

• Members

...I had the S101 TLCD bass...they made a strat, a tele and a P-bass if I remember correctly...actually a very decent bass...lent it to a pro-session buddy of mine and he offered to buy it, so for $100 shipped it was a good deal...the only reason I sold mine was I prefer a short-scale bass (went with an SX)...but Sejung (makes S101 and Canvas guitars as well as hundreds of other branded variations) is the largest guitar/piano manufacturer on the planet from what I've read (since Samick broke up their Korean plant)...

More info here:

http://www.sejungusa.com/

Archived