The Squier '51- couple of years later...

machine gunner

• Members

So, the honeymoon never ended w/ this one- I still love playing my "higher end" guitars (Ame. and Japan Strats, Gibby LP, Carvin, etc.) but I gotta say, this Indonesian made cheapie is still one of my favorites. It just has for a lack of better word, MOJO. Terrific playing neck, incredibly versatile, great resonance, stays in tune like a champ, and the cheapie pups just work for me. There still some love out there for this great lil' guitar?? :wave:

squier51.jpg

• Members

Still have my blonde. Been considering selling since they have been going up a bit and she isn't getting played since I got my strat.

Great guitar so I have been reluctant. Way better than a $100 guitar.

• Members

I bought one with a frontman amp for $80 or $100 (can't remember) a few months ago. I really liked it, but ended up selling it just because I didn't play play it much.

They only thing I didn't like were two spots on the neck that had holes filled with wood filler. Very small and not a big deal for such an inexpensive guitar that offers so much.

• Members

I keep my SB hanging around nearby as my quickie to grab. It plays and sounds great.

It had a few initial tuning problems with the crappy nut. A Graphtech Tusq one fixed that quickly. The other complaint is the crappy stock bridge, which is a NIGHTMARE to restring and the saddles slide about like crazy. I installed the GFS one and it is nicer for sure.

The only problem is that unplugged the thing buzzes a little on just about every position, luckily this doesn't come through amplified but I'm miffed as to what causes it. Really I'm at a loss!

Anyway, I agree that the guitar oozes mojo somehow, very glad I bought it. I honestly play it more than any of my other guitars.

01032008014.jpg

01032008015.jpg

• Members

When I finally got around to ordering my first one, they were discontinued and Sam Ash hadn't updated their site yet to reflect that. I was heartbroken. Had played a friends and loved it.

I don't know why they discontinued such a nice selling guitar, maybe it was selling TOO well?

• Members

I don't think it was selling very well. Even after discontinuation they remained in UK stores for years. They seem to be popular with guitar enthusiasts on the internet, but I don't think many beginners or non-internet people really went for them since they mostly want the guitars they see regularly on stages, such as Strats and Teles. The 51 is a real bastard of a guitar!

A shame they were discontinued though, they were building a reputation slowly with it, so it may have ended up turning a tidy profit in the long run.

• Members

I don't think it was selling very well. Even after discontinuation they remained in UK stores for ages. It seems to be just popular with guitar enthusiasts on the internet, I don't think many beginners (the usual Squier market) really went for them since they mostly want the guitars they see on stages, such as Strats and Teles.

I know, I just want to pretend that its a big business decision to rob the world of one of the unique affordable guitars in some evil scheme to force people to spend 1000 dollars more.

• Members

How do you like the GFS bridge? I'm thinking about putting one on my hartail bullet.

easier to re-string

the stock '51 bridge had a problem with buzzy saddles if they weren't adjusted just right. that problem is gone with the GFS

the only thing I don't like about the GFS bridge is that the tops of the saddle height allen screws feel pretty sharp. you feel it when you're palm muting. but some dremel tool work could solve that I reckon.

• Members

I bought two.

Vintage Blonde which I've kept stock except for a GFS bridge

Sunburst I'm still trying to get around to modding it. I have a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro chrome covered Tele pup that will go into the neck, and a white Fender/Duncan Pearly Gates Plus that will go into the bridge. But I still have to order a custom pickguard. I've pretty much decided I'm going to go with a cream pearloid pg for it from www.pickguards.com

ST-CreamPearl.jpg

I enjoy the guitars, but I have sort of "moved on" for now, but I'll be back to them. I just like to rotate through my guitars. Right now I'm into a Gibson phase. :idk:

Archived