Oscar Schmidt OE30, couple of years later...

Tone Eee

• Members

The stock pups are lousy.

I threw a couple of GFS pups in mine (Liverpool for bridge; Dream 90 for neck) and this guitar just sounds beautiful. Jangly and punchy with the bridge pup. Smooth and jangly on the neck pup. Very versatile from dirt to clean. The neck is super easy to play (thin, fast).

It doesn't have that deep, rich tone of some semi-hollows, but that's OK with me. It fills a jangly niche nicely.

I've heard people crap all over these guitars, and with the stock pups, I can see why. It also took me three tries to get a good one from MF. But, the folks who crap on the OE30 have not played mine. Totally worth the $120 I paid.

• Members

Let's hear it. Love it, hated it?

Still playing mine, with new pickups it's damn fine.

As you may remember I picked up one used for my stepson from a co-worker for my used DOD Flashback Fuzz + $25

I've kept your PM where you wrote:

"Just found your thread when I was dicking around. I have an OE-30 with Mean 90s in it right now--sounds great (really old school) and cleans up nice with the volume knob. I had Dream 180s in it for a year or so and they were pretty cool and a wee bit jangly if you picked close to the bridge. Defined when distorted, too, but didn't clean up as well.

Enjoy your new Oscar. It is one hell of a guitar for the price."

I've forwarded this info to my stepson and he plans on giving the Mean 90s a whirl.

Thanks

I also just found that MF had a matching gigbag for it on clearance for $15 so I ordered that for him as well. He just received it yesterday and was pleased with it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Oscar-Schmidt-OE30-Hollowbody-Guitar-Gig-Bag?sku=544052

• Members

I almost bought one a few years ago, but the lady in the mom-n-pop shop tried to charge me DOUBLE the Musician's Friend price... and it was used! It played nice and didn't sound too bad, nothing great, but not bad. But damn, the lady totally pissed me off and so I promptly told her where to insert the headstock. :evil:

• Members

DSCN0216.jpg

Love it. Contemplating another pickup change, though. Maybe putting in a neck mean 90 (it currently as a bridge one).

I put some lem oil on the board and I swear, the little grain streaks feel like they've been filled up. It feels like ebony. Very good guitar.

• Members

By z way, how tough is it to change the pups on that guitar? I mean, being a semi -hollow and all.

It ain't easy. I just spliced in the pups at the pup cavity at first to check out different pups. After I found the ones I wanted, I went back and fished everything through the F-holes. It takes patience. And dental floss.

No kidding. Attach some dental floss to the pots and switches before you pull them from the guitar so that they're easier to guide back through when you put everything back in.

• Members

OR you could do it the ghetto way like I did: Clip the original pickups about 1 inch from the baseplate(what, you were gonna stick someone with them on Ebay?), strip the wires, solder on the new ones to the leads and reassemble in reverse order. Quick and painless.

I know my OE30 will need a new switch one day and maybe new pots, but a couple of the above-mentioned dental-floss nightmares later, I'm not pulling that stuff out unless absolutely necessary! Yikes, what a way to ruin a nice afternoon.

• Members

By z way, how tough is it to change the pups on that guitar? I mean, being a semi -hollow and all.

Tedious. The good news is that you don't have to pull ALL the pots out. You can solder the pups out/in if you just release the volume pots and pull them TO (not all the way through) the f-holes.

Actually, the most difficult part is releasing the cabling from its holders on the underside of the top. That is of course, if you are trying to get the cabling out and leave the holders there to put the cabling back in when you are done. Even though you aren't removing all the pots, you need the slack in cabling from releasing the extra cabling to get the colume pots to the f-holes.

• Members

Sold mine,(dumb...) black, w/dream 90s, fullsized CTS pots, paper in oil caps, pro set-up.

Great guitar@any price.

There's a co. on E-bay selling 'em under a different name, would kill in red w/dogeared p-90s w/trapeze tailpiece.

• Members

It's made out of WOOD?!?!?!?

:lol:

Yeah, I ain't seen a whole lotta wood in mine. Well, there is a good chunk of something resembling wood in the center block. It doesn't bother me at all, though. I think the wood-like material gives the guitar that hint of Dano type jangle that I get out of mine (along with the jangly pups).

Archived