Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oscar Schmidt OE30, couple of years later...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscar Schmidt OE30, couple of years later...

Let's hear it. Love it, hated it?
    Still playing mine, with new pickups it's damn fine.
    Member of the SG Army and the G&L Militia
    The Bassmen - Proud Fender Bassman Players

Same here! I put Agile pups in mine! However, I've had mine 2.5 years. Best $129 I ever spent!

The red one:
    SX SEG1STD,KY1 (CUS22,ASH22,STD24),STL50,SST (57,Ash,SE,LTD2),GG1LTD2,GG6CUS,GG7CUS,SJB75C4+1 (fretted,fretless),SJB (2-57,2-62),SPJ62,2-SB301 (fretted,fretless)
    Douglas Shadow,WRL590,TL100,WOB826,WPB955,2-WPB980
    Brice Z6 (fretted,fretless)
    Agile AL2000 (minihum,prail),AL2500 (Albino,12) ,AL3000 (reg,neck-thru)
    Squier Affinity Tele,Deluxe Jazz V
    Oscar Schmidt OE40
    Raven RP450,Yamaha BB404,Switch Signature Wild IV
    First Act VE591,semi-hollow; PRS SE (Custom, Soapbar II,semi-hollow)

Comment

The stock pups are lousy.

I threw a couple of GFS pups in mine (Liverpool for bridge; Dream 90 for neck) and this guitar just sounds beautiful. Jangly and punchy with the bridge pup. Smooth and jangly on the neck pup. Very versatile from dirt to clean. The neck is super easy to play (thin, fast).

It doesn't have that deep, rich tone of some semi-hollows, but that's OK with me. It fills a jangly niche nicely.

I've heard people crap all over these guitars, and with the stock pups, I can see why. It also took me three tries to get a good one from MF. But, the folks who crap on the OE30 have not played mine. Totally worth the $120 I paid.
      basement traders

Comment

Duncan 59s
        R I P Leopardstar

Originally Posted by jjpistols
        yeah it's funny to watch internet idiots talk **************** knowing they've never accomplished a ****************in thing musically

Comment

Still have mine, still play it when I feel like something different, still like it.
          Member: SG Army
          In rock n roll alliance with the Mazi Bee Militia
          But Old Reliable is a Strat.

Like the Kingdom of Heaven the Fountain
          Of Youth is within us;
          If we seek it elsewhere, old shall we
          grow in the search.

Now, get off my cloud.

Comment

Hope I'm not threadcrapping here. Forgive if I am......

I have the cherry red Washburn HB30 version and absolutely adore it. Hated the stock pups, so I put a pair of GFS Mean 90s in, and now the thing snarls and growls. Love it!

Comment

Let's hear it. Love it, hated it?
              Still playing mine, with new pickups it's damn fine.

As you may remember I picked up one used for my stepson from a co-worker for my used DOD Flashback Fuzz + $25

I've kept your PM where you wrote:

"Just found your thread when I was dicking around. I have an OE-30 with Mean 90s in it right now--sounds great (really old school) and cleans up nice with the volume knob. I had Dream 180s in it for a year or so and they were pretty cool and a wee bit jangly if you picked close to the bridge. Defined when distorted, too, but didn't clean up as well.

Enjoy your new Oscar. It is one hell of a guitar for the price."

I've forwarded this info to my stepson and he plans on giving the Mean 90s a whirl.

Thanks

I also just found that MF had a matching gigbag for it on clearance for $15 so I ordered that for him as well. He just received it yesterday and was pleased with it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Oscar-Schmidt-OE30-Hollowbody-Guitar-Gig-Bag?sku=544052
              A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
              HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
              Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
              I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

Here's a shameless bump and a plug all in one!

Gotta compete with the Squier 51 thread you know....

Clips of my bald ass rocking the oe30 (now with Mean 90s)
                at http://www.myspace.com/legionofxemu

Comment

I almost bought one a few years ago, but the lady in the mom-n-pop shop tried to charge me DOUBLE the Musician's Friend price... and it was used! It played nice and didn't sound too bad, nothing great, but not bad. But damn, the lady totally pissed me off and so I promptly told her where to insert the headstock.
                  My Original Music:
                  Goetic Circle
                  Ashes of the Magician
                  UNDEAD PRIEST
                  In the Name of Majestic Hellfire

Comment

Love it. Contemplating another pickup change, though. Maybe putting in a neck mean 90 (it currently as a bridge one).

I put some lem oil on the board and I swear, the little grain streaks feel like they've been filled up. It feels like ebony. Very good guitar.

Comment

By z way, how tough is it to change the pups on that guitar? I mean, being a semi -hollow and all.
                      A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                      HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                      Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                      I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

By z way, how tough is it to change the pups on that guitar? I mean, being a semi -hollow and all.

It ain't easy. I just spliced in the pups at the pup cavity at first to check out different pups. After I found the ones I wanted, I went back and fished everything through the F-holes. It takes patience. And dental floss.

No kidding. Attach some dental floss to the pots and switches before you pull them from the guitar so that they're easier to guide back through when you put everything back in.
                        basement traders

Comment

OR you could do it the ghetto way like I did: Clip the original pickups about 1 inch from the baseplate(what, you were gonna stick someone with them on Ebay?), strip the wires, solder on the new ones to the leads and reassemble in reverse order. Quick and painless.
                          I know my OE30 will need a new switch one day and maybe new pots, but a couple of the above-mentioned dental-floss nightmares later, I'm not pulling that stuff out unless absolutely necessary! Yikes, what a way to ruin a nice afternoon.

Comment

Tedious. The good news is that you don't have to pull ALL the pots out. You can solder the pups out/in if you just release the volume pots and pull them TO (not all the way through) the f-holes.

Actually, the most difficult part is releasing the cabling from its holders on the underside of the top. That is of course, if you are trying to get the cabling out and leave the holders there to put the cabling back in when you are done. Even though you aren't removing all the pots, you need the slack in cabling from releasing the extra cabling to get the colume pots to the f-holes.
                            SX SEG1STD,KY1 (CUS22,ASH22,STD24),STL50,SST (57,Ash,SE,LTD2),GG1LTD2,GG6CUS,GG7CUS,SJB75C4+1 (fretted,fretless),SJB (2-57,2-62),SPJ62,2-SB301 (fretted,fretless)
                            Douglas Shadow,WRL590,TL100,WOB826,WPB955,2-WPB980
                            Brice Z6 (fretted,fretless)
                            Agile AL2000 (minihum,prail),AL2500 (Albino,12) ,AL3000 (reg,neck-thru)
                            Squier Affinity Tele,Deluxe Jazz V
                            Oscar Schmidt OE40
                            Raven RP450,Yamaha BB404,Switch Signature Wild IV
                            First Act VE591,semi-hollow; PRS SE (Custom, Soapbar II,semi-hollow)

Comment

old pic

R I P Leopardstar

Originally Posted by jjpistols
                              yeah it's funny to watch internet idiots talk **************** knowing they've never accomplished a ****************in thing musically

Comment

Working...
                              X