1970's Sears Guitar

• Members

Oh God no!!

Why would you want that?

That was the first guitar I ever had and it was CRAP!! The action was an inch off the fretboard on a good day.

I still am amazed that I even learned anything on it. It used to make my fingers bleed. Literally.

Hopefully those are all burning in hell right now.

• Members

see, i fully intend it as a project guitar...thing is...i like how that one looks yes i know it's an sg... but they don't make an sg quite like that one...and i collect vintage guitars...so it appeals to me...like, a lot...

Wow. That really amazes me. That guitar was the #1 worst POS I ever played in my life.

• Members

This one isn't quite the same thing but it was sold by Sears and a few other outlets.

global.jpg

It was part of a storage garage auction in a lot marked "Restaurant Fixtures". My Dad and I bought the lot for $25. I took the guitar, he took the other stuff. :D

eBay is going to be the most likely place to find one unless you happen upon one like I did.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

hey i have a sg like the one u want but its not for sale, and deos anybody know where i can get a wammy bar for mine. when my dad gave it to me it didnt have one on it and starting a band i rlly rlly need it

• Members

I had the Sears LP style sunburst from around 1978. Action was indeed very high.

Hey I also had the sunburst LP from Sears in 78. What a piece.

The peickups were just mags and screws and glue. Nothing else. The bridge and Tailpece were way too narrow. I paid $89 for it and the amp pack. Even with a luthiers hard work it never became a good player.

They look cool but thats were it ended.

In the 80's Sears carried much better copies from Lotus,Magnum and Aria and are most likely a better find IMO.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Well, if memory serves me correctly, it came from Sears or Montgomery Wards back in the mid or early 70's as a birthday gift. No name on the head.

The ONLY marking on the whole body is a label in the back that states: SG430-2GT No: 024

Hopefully the photos came up good. The first should be the guitar in the case. If memory serves me right, this is also the case that came from Sears also. So its all original.

The second photo should show the back of the guitar where the neck meets the body and the metal tag that is there.

I'd LOVE to know who made this. The action is ok, the finish, the color, the neck is great.

If this is the wrong place to post this OR if it turns out NOT to be a Harmony... can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm NOT looking to sell this or trade or anything like that. Just looking for information.

Thanks!

Nitch.

• Members

Oh God no!!

Why would you want that?

That was the first guitar I ever had and it was CRAP!! The action was an inch off the fretboard on a good day.

I still am amazed that I even learned anything on it. It used to make my fingers bleed. Literally.

Hopefully those are all burning in hell right now.

My first guitar was the "Les Paul" version of the 1970s Sears catalog guitar and my experience was about the same as yours.

• Members

I dont' know how helpful this is, but my dad's drummer has a SG copy made by Kent in his basement. Or, rather, the hull of it. It's completely gutted of electronics (partially my fault), and the tuners are mostly shot. the body is in fair condition, though.

I haven't been able to find and pics, though I'm still looking.

• Members

I used to own one. I bought it for $50 and sold it for $60. It had a plywood body which was surprisingly resonant. I swapped a different neck on it. The stock neck was unplayable. I don't think it had a fretboard. I think the frets were just slotted and glued into the neck.

100_0493.jpg

Archived