Advice on replacing Strat Pups.

googoomuck

• Members

I'm thinking of trying some different pickups in my Am Series Strat. I usually play clean, into my EL34 loaded Cornford, letting the amp overdrive naturally. I get an OK sound from the p-ups, but I'm looking for something a little dirtier/grittier (think 60s Garage Punk, early Kinks, 'Paperback Writer', kind of thing).

Am I just using the wrong gear full-stop, or are there any replacement single coil pups out there that might help me along my way?

• Members

I have Tex-Mex pups in my '05 Strat and I really like them. They are not quite as hot as Texas Specials, and I think they give me more control over my tone.

Also, check out guitarfetish.com - I have the XV-600 with P-90s and it sounds great. If you are not interested in another guitar, they have many pickups to choose from. After playing through their P-90s and Crunchy PATs, I believe they have some of the best pups on the market and they won't kill your wallet.

• Members

STOP PRESS

I was messing around with the volume on my guitar, the EQ on my amp and my SD Pickup booster and, low and behold, the tone I was looking for just barked right at me.

I'd been using too much gain on the booster and that was where the problem lay. The harsh tone I was looking for, actually required only very little of it.

So I'm a very happy man right now, knowing I'm not gonna have to shell out for something I ultimately don't need. And, what's more, I only need to use the Booster and the amp (and the guitar) to get it. Putting the Fuzz boxes away feels particularly liberating.

Drinks all round, I think! :thu:

• Members

I'm going to have to seriously consider getting a p90 loaded guitar, aren't I.

Do it!!!! I've been playing mainly Fenders and clones for the past 20 years, and just picked up a Godin LG (w/P90s). I played it out the other day and got a lot of really great comments regarding the tone (I was playing with a guy playing a strat). Keep the strat as it is for when you want clean, and use the P90 when you want a little more 'dirt' and I guarantee you'll be able to cover at least 95% of the territory you might want to play.

• Members

The Cornfords are supposed to be really nice. I agree with another poster on the Tex Mex pups I have them in my Jimmie Vaughn and they sound awesome. I hate the stock pickups in my USA Standard Strat. UGH... I don't mind the Texas Specials in my SRV and I have the SCN's in an MIM Strat and they sound pretty good to.

Get yourself a Gibson Les Paul special they have the sound you want and you can get them for like 5-600 used... Good luck.

• Members

Do it!!!! I've been playing mainly Fenders and clones for the past 20 years, and just picked up a Godin LG (w/P90s). I played it out the other day and got a lot of really great comments regarding the tone (I was playing with a guy playing a strat). Keep the strat as it is for when you want clean, and use the P90 when you want a little more 'dirt' and I guarantee you'll be able to cover at least 95% of the territory you might want to play.

The difficult thing for me was that I wanted that clean sound, but for it to have a slightly dirtier edge to it. I thought it was the pups when I was trying it on quite high gain settings, or through my Rat or Frantone, but then I realised that by adding just a little gain on my SD Pickup Booster and tweaking the amp's EQ (and not bothering with distortion/fuzz at all) I got what I was looking for.

I do want a P90 guitar, but I won't need it for the tone I mentioned in the first post here. I just think it'd make for a necessary supplement to my Strat tone. The Godin definitely strikes me as a good bet. Thanks.:thu:

Archived