Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has chosen to forgo higher wattage amps for...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has chosen to forgo higher wattage amps for...

I apologize if this has been recently posted, as I haven't seen it.

I was wondering who has played on higher wattage amps, say 50 watts and up, and has changed their tonal preference and wattage preference for a lower wattage amp, say 35 watts and less for live work?

For as long as I can remember, I have used 50 and 100 watt amps, but always used the lower wattage settings if the amps had them. However, I began to realize that I was not using the full potential of what those amps offered in terms of power at the work I was being offered. It was always overkill by way too much wattage available.

Then over the last couple of years, I have been getting smaller amps, or reducing the power in my current Diezels by using less powerful tubes.

I am now at a point where I am using tube amps that are 20 watts and less, and plan on getting my next Diezel with the lowest wattage they offer.
    I miss the options that some of the larger amps had, that are sometimes missing on the lower wattage amps, but have noticed that now, amp makers are putting the same options into their lower wattage amps.

These are things as a tube driven effects loop, parallel effects loop, multiple channels, or other power-related options, power scaling, and the list goes on.

I have found that when I use lower wattage power tubes, I am able to turn the dials on the amp up higher and get from the amp more tone out of it, and more versatility from any given dial on the amp.

I am using less distortion, getting more sustain and clarity while still distorting the amp, yet more aggressive tones from these lower wattage amps.

Has anyone else been doing this?

Thank you.
    Stephen
    Two of the nicest gentlemen, and most talented people: Mssr's Diezel and Krampe.
    Je préfèrerais mourir sans un sou dans une rue en Europe que de vivre en Amérique sous l'administration actuelle. Alizée est la meilleure. Vous, les princesses pop américaines, n'avez aucun talent, aucune classe, et vous sonnez comme de la merde. Sarkozy et le reste de l'Europe se moquent de notre président dans son dos.

Tried it and while sounding OK, lost the headroom I needed. Went back to the big boys.
    Brian H. - GBT #261, Super Awesome Gibson VM Les Paul Club, SG Army, Epiphone Empire

Facebook: Orthodox Fuzz
    Reverbnation: Orthodox Fuzz
    Twitter: Orthodox Fuzz

Main Gear: Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute, Gibson Les Paul VM, Gibson Faded Flying V, Epi Les Paul Custom, 77 Ibanez 2350CS Les Paul, Epiphone Sheraton II, Orange Rockerverb 100, Orange PPC412 cab, Sunn (O))) Enforcer head, 70s Sunn 4x12, Sunn Beta Lead 2x12 combo

Comment

Just buy one of each.....
      good deals with: nearly everyone.
      Previous Moniker tiles: JoshuaTSP, Science! & GAS KING

Comment

I recently picked up an Epi VJ which I'm really getting along well with, and also just sold my 60-watt Fender Deville. I'll be replacing it with an AC15, so yeah, I have.

Comment

Have several high gain 50, 120 and such tube amps. For band practice I bring a Fender blues JR (15 watts) and everyone comments on the sound. I use a Mosferatu and a AC booster in front and a Les Paul. I also have a Dr. Z Maz JR NR that is 18 watts and that sounds amazing. I don't know anywhere except the Garden that you would really need a 100 watt amp and then you mic them up anyway. Love my 3-5 watt Blackheart but haven't tried it at practice yet...
          Good transactions - BerkleeBill, droolmaster0, Halfguard, Bonzo2, Moshaholic, fuzzfan1, tbone666,Tcb189, buyyerown, Stress Relief, uncleshish, Hyphy Panther, photios123, tonedude, teamoldskool42, Eagle90, acewood, mdanman, atlantamm, Tuxedo Kaz, readymade,rfd,deadanddreaming, petelaramee,voxmarshall, dangolguitartech, anti-flag193, BCapano, lhrocker, boonestunes, rebornself27, Conky , tpruitt1, NinjaRaf, kojdogg

www.Ultreen.com

www.Undergroundalien.com

Comment

Have several high gain 50, 120 and such tube amps. For band practice I bring a Fender blues JR (15 watts) and everyone comments on the sound. I use a Mosferatu and a AC booster in front and a Les Paul. I also have a Dr. Z Maz JR NR that is 18 watts and that sounds amazing. I don't know anywhere except the Garden that you would really need a 100 watt amp and then you mic them up anyway. Love my 3-5 watt Blackheart but haven't tried it at practice yet...

I took my VJ to rehearsal the other night and it kept up well with the drummer and the rest of the band. I need to get a larger cab for it at some point.

Comment

I really like my 40 watt DSL, but do find you loose some headroom for cleans, though this can be got around by running the amp a bit quieter and miking
              My Gear

07 Les Paul 68 Custom Reissue
              94 Roadhouse Strat w SD custom hot flats
              Ibanez S540
              00 Epi LP Custom w Gibson 490R/498T pickups
              Squier Telecaster Custom II
              04 p90 Melody Maker

Marshall DSL 401
              Fender superchamp XD

Fender deluxe precision bass
              Ashdown ABM evo 500 combo

Good trades with ChuckNorris1982 & slomatic

Comment

I have found that the need for power is driven by what the other guys in the band do. I have been running an Epi Jr. at practice through a 4x12 and it is damn loud, as in loud enough. But if the bass player were to suddenly show up with an SVT and start turning things up (as bass players sometimes do), I would get blown out of the water pretty fast and need something bigger.
                Good deals with: "georgestrings," "Radiohead, lol," "Dr. Scottie C," "sonaboy," "elliseye," "FckStick Jones," "Outlier," "Polk Salad." "lowbrow," "rindgecore," "rparchen," "archer28," "dangolguitartec," "Mr. Goodbomb," "pinchegordo," "xopyc," "tincob," "waveman," "blueshawk1," "JoshuaTSP," "SPONGEBOB," "clarksean," "xtchc1978," "panoramic," "jimmyjameb0," "gschmittling," "C1993," "LUVSWATCH," "Markus RN," "imarks."

Comment

i mainly gig with a 15w Fender Pro Jr.

Comment

all of my amps are 40 watts or less.
                    The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

I don't use much more on stage than the 12 or 15 watts that my Princeton Reverb puts out these days.

Comment

currently have a 100 watt B52 AT100. I'm looking for a lower wattage amp. See my sig.

As for clean headroom, I can live without it. I actually like a slightly broken up clean anyway.
                        Current gear:
                        A whole bunch of stuff!

Hear me play at my Soundclick music page. Here.

Comment

I have an old 70's silverface twin reverb in my best friends basement, I should probably go clean off the cobwebs and fire it up for an hour or so...this is my loudest amp.

I use my Rocktron Egnater TOL50 head and a 2X12 cab to keep up with the louder people.

Bedroom amps I've decided to sell Epi valve jr, Blackheart BH5112 combo and an old MIA blues junior...My Egnaters 10 watt mode blows these amps away.

Getting a 65 Princeton reissue today 15watts with a 1X10 Jensen.
                          Geezer Brigade Trooper #30
                          1st generation Irish

Comment

I'm playing through a 45W Rivera combo these days. It's plenty for what we do but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with anything smaller.
                            "Born to Play" MP3 album at iTunes & Amazon.

Comment

The Highest wattage amp that I have now is a 45 watt Fender Bassman.
                              Everything else is 35 watts or less.
                              After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. Aldous Huxley

Comment

Working...
                              X