How can you tell if you're buying a real Fender?

elsupermanny14

• Members

I'm curious on how you can be sure that you're buying a real Fender when you buy a used guitar of craigslist or something? It's very easy to take a genuine Fender neck and put it on a Strat or Tele copy. It's not like you can take the guitar apart and look for the stamp on the body. So how can you be sure that you're buying a genuine Fender guitar?

I have passed up a few good deals on craigslist from time to time because I'm scared of running into a fake.

• Members

If you've got any doubt, take the neck off.

That or the pick-guard, or the Control cavity of a Tele? But truth be told, if you really do not know whats your looking at once you take the neck off? What good is it?

Bottom Line is you need to play and research fenders a Bit. Your not going to get the Instant Gradification you desire on a forum with a answer to a simple question.

If you don't know what your doing, [and there are some excellent looking FAKES] Go to an authorized Fender dealer. Even for a used piece? Its not gonna cost you mauch mor than E-Bay or Craigs list.

Looking for GREAT DEALS is great when you know what yor doing. Getting Beat isn't a great deal.

• Members

BTW

I loked at a MIK Plywood Fender copy from Craigslist. The Fender decals on the headstock were GOOD. The guitar was a GOOD FAKE. You could see under the Trem plate it was plywood though. And when I looked at the decak at an angle in the SUN with reading glass's on.[magnifying glass's] I could see where the original decal was Sanded off and not finished correctly before the USA decal was applied.

Look I been at this a LONG TIME. And someone whos relatively new at this would have gotten beat by that guitar. I picked it up and plugged it in first and it played and sounded pretty good. With a fast glance and by playing you may not tell.

But under strick scrutiny they will not hold-up.

• Members

Folks on this forum get riled up real fast about fake Chinese Gibsons, but my guess is there are far more fake Fenders out there than Gibsons. Parts and decals are readily available and there are so many Fender models that unless you are a real expert you can easily be taken.

• Members

Hence why I don't buy used Fenders.

To be honest, Fenders aren't even that much new, so it's not really a big deal. :idk:

Any jackass can get a Fender neck of eBay, or a Fender-like neck from one of the various dealers out there and stick it on a junk (but properly shaped) body filled with junk electronics. And people do.

I'd rather spend a bit more and know I'm getting an actual Fender instead of some knockoff.

• Members

(stormin1155)

Folks on this forum get riled up real fast about fake Chinese Gibsons, but my guess is there are far more fake Fenders out there than Gibsons. Parts and decals are readily available and there are so many Fender models that unless you are a real expert you can easily be taken.

No reason to fake a Strat unless your talking CS or Sig then they don't go for much than a grand. I have a Strat plus body with a special ed. neck and most people would think it came that way... The reason I get so riled up is look @ it from a money standpoint. Les Paul Std new close to 2500$ and sell used anywhere from 1000$ - 2000$ used.. New USA strat 999$ or there abouts and whats the resale? I have an '06 like new I'd like to get 800$ for but thats probably a stretch even with the upgrades it has. Bottom line is your getting hammered hard if you get burned on a fake Les Paul and if it's a Strat maybe not hit so bad. Plus as others posted get a Strat neck off ebay and your close to good to go. Come on you can buy 2 or 3 strats for the price of one Les Paul.

(-Anti-)

To be honest, Fenders aren't even that much new, so it's not really a big deal.

Agreed.... unfortunately the economy is in the pooper so even guitars under a grand are too much for lots of folks..

• Members
(stormin1155)

No reason to fake a Strat unless your talking CS or Sig then they don't go for much than a grand. I have a Strat plus body with a special ed. neck and most people would think it came that way... The reason I get so riled up is look @ it from a money standpoint. Les Paul Std new close to 2500$ and sell used anywhere from 1000$ - 2000$ used.. New USA strat 999$ or there abouts and whats the resale? I have an '06 like new I'd like to get 800$ for but thats probably a stretch even with the upgrades it has. Bottom line is your getting hammered hard if you get burned on a fake Les Paul and if it's a Strat maybe not hit so bad. Plus as others posted get a Strat neck off ebay and your close to good to go. Come on you can buy 2 or 3 strats for the price of one Les Paul.

(-Anti-)

To be honest, Fenders aren't even that much new, so it's not really a big deal.

Agreed.... unfortunately the economy is in the pooper so even guitars under a grand are too much for lots of folks..

You're 100% right on the Gibson clone thing. They get more attention because Gibsons are so much more expensive for not much more guitar.

Fenders are all around easier to clone (not only because of the design, but also because Fender doesn't really bother going after cloners to the extent that Gibson does).

Gibsons, while harder to clone, gain more attention. You have all these people that post rants against counterfeits and fake Gibsons, but in reality, all they're doing is drawing more attention to these sites that sell them. :rolleyes:

As for the economy, I don't think anyone would disagree on that. Still, even if less people are buying Fenders, even fewer are spending two to three times the amount on a Gibson.

Archived