John Mayer talks about his gear/setup in Guitarist Mag.

speclk19

• Members

That article actually answered my question about why guitarists who have sig strats choose to keep the vintage style 6 screw bridge instead of the two point trems..

I posted a thread about this a couple weeks ago...no one seemed to know...

Cool. Thanks

• Members

He is an SRV freak, so he probably uses bigger string gauges. They probably string the ones they sell lighter because no one would buy one with huge strings on it. They want the guitars to be easy to play so that people will buy them.

• Members

He is an SRV freak, so he probably uses bigger string gauges. They probably string the ones they sell lighter because no one would buy one with huge strings on it. They want the guitars to be easy to play so that people will buy them.

True dat.

When my Jeff Beck Custom Artist arrived, it was strung with 9s -- whereas Jeff hisself uses an 11-48 set. The string set supplied on an Artist model Fender has more to do with what the company think the target market want to feel than with what the artist him/herself actually uses.

• Members

Could anyone give me information on his really beat up black strat?

Pretty sure its a Cruz masterbuilt strat. From various bits and peices i have read - its a clone of SRV's number 1 strat, but just done on a black strat rather than a sunburst. But i dont really know to much else about it sorry.

Chicago6.jpg

And SRV's

SRV1.jpg

• Members

yeah, i know for a fact slash uses .11s; but all my slash sigs have come with .10s.

• Members

Pretty sure its a Cruz masterbuilt strat. From various bits and peices i have read - its a clone of SRV's number 1 strat, but just done on a black strat rather than a sunburst. But i dont really know to much else about it sorry.

Also, the pickups are not the "Big Dippers" that are in Mayer's Sig. Strat. They're still underwound...but I don't think the mids are quite as "scooped" as what's in his Sig. Strat. I do know that he likes his pickup's output to be on the lower side so that he can really crank his amps when playing.

Archived