changing strings on a strat floating bridge

ilovemystrat

• Members

Change them one at a time.

Or if you are going to change them all at the same time. Tune the low E. Tune the high e and b, Check tuning on Low e. tune g. chec tuning on high e and b and low g. tune d check tuning on low e, high e, b g,. Tune a string then check tuning on all the remaining strings.

• Members

Don't overthink it. I just snip them all at the nut and take them all off at the same time. That way you can get to everything to clean the dust and gunk that builds-up underneath the strings.

If you have your springs set correctly, the bridge will float back to where it belongs once you are tuned up.

PaulS

• Members

Don't overthink it. I just snip them all at the nut and take them all off at the same time. That way you can get to everything to clean the dust and gunk that builds-up underneath the strings.

If you have your springs set correctly, the bridge will float back to where it belongs once you are tuned up.

PaulS

Yeah, but if your bridge is floating, every time you tune a string it will make the previous strings go flat. To minimize the repeated tuning:

1. Get a deck of cards.

2. Slip as many cards as will fit, without moving the trem, between the back of the trem and the top of the body.

3. I always then bend the trem down and add 1 more card.

While you change the strings, your trem is set about where it should be and movement while you string and tune will be minimized, reducing the need to retune (except for your initial string stretching).

4. When done, push the trem down and remove the cards.

• Members

Yeah, but if your bridge is floating, every time you tune a string it will make the previous strings go flat. To minimize the repeated tuning:

1. Get a deck of cards.

2. Slip as many cards as will fit, without moving the trem, between the back of the trem and the top of the body.

While you change the strings, your trem is set about where it should be and movement while you string and tune will be minimized, reducing the need to retune (except for your initial string stretching).

Nothing wrong with that technique at all. I do something similar with Floyds--in fact, Dunlop had a tool for holding the trem in place.

For Strats, I've never found any tricks needed. Maybe it's because I have a lot of them and I'm forever changing strings.

PaulS

• Members

1. Get a deck of cards.

Great advice, If you dont have or dont want to use cards just use the back trem cover

Archived