OT: Your Practice Method

ilovemystrat

• Members

Play what you enjoy playing. I try to push myself and experiment with new fingerings or scales, but if I get bored I switch to something that is fun to play. I try to work myself into a "trance", which is when songwriting ideas suddenly start popping out of my fingers.

• Members

I go to rehearsal, we run the set.

That's pretty much it.

Me, too. Same thing at home, though I run through about 5-10 new songs a week and work on hard solo sections.

Unfortunately, I feel like I've been at a brick wall for the past year. I think it's time I do something about it.

If someone has a specific practice regimen, please post it here. I'd love to see what players do to advance their technique.

I'm hoping _Pete_ or Alchemist will chime in (or Rocco)...

• Members

You know you're in HCEG when practicing is considered offtopic :D

I don't have a specific routine, I should though. Usually it's just playing whatever comes to mind, trying to find new riffs/melodies to use in songs, or practicing the difficult parts of a couple of songs I really want to learn to play (currently Eric Johnson's SRV and Dream Theater's Overture 1928).

• Members

Lately it's been:
Wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank, (learn new song)wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,

The incentive to practice in a coherent and determined fashion comes and goes for me. During the times when I'm *not* coasting, usually have a few particular aspects, technique, theory, songs, that I'll break down to the smallest possible bits and practice slowly and meticuously.

• Members

I don't practice mechanical things.

I take jazz lessons during the school year, so during the week I'm working on whatever my teacher assigns me...reading/playing the head, chord melody if applicable, getting the changes down, and then I put the progression into Band in a Box or jam over somebody's version of the track to practice soloing.

I like to the HC Sticky Jams, that helps me as a player. And I'll learn tunes when the mood strikes.

I'm more interested in developing my ear and melodic content than raw technique.

Archived