Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Your Practice Method

Scales, Review, New Stuff, Jam out

don't forget your metronome or drum machine!

you?
    ilovemystrat
    ROCK'N'ROLL player in the Tokyo, Japan
    Leader/Founder of the Gibson Les Paul Classic Crew (GLPCC)

Gear:
    2007 Chambered Gibson Les Paul Standard in Ebony
    2006 Gibson Les Paul Classic in Natural Honeyburst
    2005 Fender Japan '57 Stratocaster
    1995 Marshall JTM30

I just play to backingtracks or to a song when playing at home.
    It's boring to play without bass & drums.
    So we try to rehearse as much as possible...
    And it's got to be loud ;-)
    Guitars: Fender 50th Anniv.Std. & Dlx. Strat, Fender MIM Std.Strat, Gibson Blueshawk, Hamer Special FM
    Amps: 2x MesaBoogie Studio.22,
    Pedals: Vox Cooltron Bulldog Distortion & Duel Overdrive, Boss BD-2 & CS-3 & TU-2, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Toadworks Roundabout & DeathRattle

Concert of my Band - Good Vibrations
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=dUQlWrl2zj8

Comment

I go to rehearsal, we run the set.

That's pretty much it.
      Visit Crash Pad at:
      http://CrashPadBand.com
      CONSUME!:
      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/crashpad
      Gear List/Pics:
      https://sites.google.com/site/briankrashpad/

Comment

I am really lazy about this. I run up and down scales while watching TV sometimes. The rest of the time, I just play whatever I feel like.
        Guitars: Vox Standard 25 / Variax 700 / Fender Lite Ash Strat (modded) / Squier Affinity Telecaster (HEAVILY modded) / Variax 700 Bass / a slowly hatching Warmoth-based build
        Amps: Sold the lot and got an XT Live and never looked back (and got a Vox DA5 off me dear old mum for Xmas 2009, gawd bless er)
        Recording: Rain Recording Element PC / Presonus Firepod / Cakewalk Sonar / SE Reflexion Filter / Other Stuff
        DJing: Toshiba laptop / NI Traktor / Ableton Live

Comment

Practice, what's that? All my practice time is spent here!
          I did a Google search on the letter "e".......the whole internet froze up.

My MySpace page:
          http://www.myspace.com/fendercasterga

Comment

Play what you enjoy playing. I try to push myself and experiment with new fingerings or scales, but if I get bored I switch to something that is fun to play. I try to work myself into a "trance", which is when songwriting ideas suddenly start popping out of my fingers.
            At the end of a dream/If you know what I mean/When the mist just starts to clear

Comment

I go to rehearsal, we run the set.

That's pretty much it.

Me, too. Same thing at home, though I run through about 5-10 new songs a week and work on hard solo sections.

Unfortunately, I feel like I've been at a brick wall for the past year. I think it's time I do something about it.

If someone has a specific practice regimen, please post it here. I'd love to see what players do to advance their technique.

I'm hoping _Pete_ or Alchemist will chime in (or Rocco)...
              Good trades: drivelikejoewho, mfergel, kalvinsdad

Originally Posted by Funkwire

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a guitar player

Comment

When I get in a rut(same old songs over and over), I cruse UTUBE and the like and play along with anything that has a beat and guitar lines I can hear. Found a lot of fun songs that way.

Comment

You know you're in HCEG when practicing is considered offtopic

I don't have a specific routine, I should though. Usually it's just playing whatever comes to mind, trying to find new riffs/melodies to use in songs, or practicing the difficult parts of a couple of songs I really want to learn to play (currently Eric Johnson's SRV and Dream Theater's Overture 1928).

Comment

Lately it's been:
                    Wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank, wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank, wank,wank,wank, (learn new song)wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank, wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,wank,

The incentive to practice in a coherent and determined fashion comes and goes for me. During the times when I'm *not* coasting, usually have a few particular aspects, technique, theory, songs, that I'll break down to the smallest possible bits and practice slowly and meticuously.

Comment

I haven't 'practiced' in years...
                      My Original Music:
                      Goetic Circle
                      Ashes of the Magician
                      UNDEAD PRIEST
                      In the Name of Majestic Hellfire

Comment

I don't practice mechanical things.

I take jazz lessons during the school year, so during the week I'm working on whatever my teacher assigns me...reading/playing the head, chord melody if applicable, getting the changes down, and then I put the progression into Band in a Box or jam over somebody's version of the track to practice soloing.

I like to the HC Sticky Jams, that helps me as a player. And I'll learn tunes when the mood strikes.

I'm more interested in developing my ear and melodic content than raw technique.
                        My Soundclick
                        My YouTube Channels

'01 Heritage H535
                        '05 USA G&L Legacy
                        Taylor Big Baby

Comment

Working...
                        X