Who plays Michael Kelly guitars?

aschreiber2010

• Members

I just received the Hex Deluxe the other day. Beautiful guitar, but the fourth fret was not set properly and my high E got caught under it a few times. When switching pickups a couple of times the sound died. The Floyd would not stay tight and had a lot of play in it too. The guitar also had a design flaw(to me). The volume knobs were hard to get to with the Floyd attatched.

Also, when the guitar arrived the bridge was so low the strings were resting on the pickups. Needless to say it is going back. It did play nicely though!

• Members

Well, why I can't speak for any models other than the Patriots, I've never played a bad one. I have a Patriot Custom and a Patriot Black. Wonderful guitars.

As for the poor Hex the other poster shared, they're new and just started shipping, so they probably don't have the bugs worked out yet.

I bought my Custom from a local dealer and my Black on ebay with no problems whatsoever with either.

guitar010.jpg

SoapbarMK028.jpg

• Members

I just received the Hex Deluxe the other day. Beautiful guitar, but the fourth fret was not set properly and my high E got caught under it a few times. When switching pickups a couple of times the sound died. The Floyd would not stay tight and had a lot of play in it too. The guitar also had a design flaw(to me). The volume knobs were hard to get to with the Floyd attatched.

Also, when the guitar arrived the bridge was so low the strings were resting on the pickups. Needless to say it is going back. It did play nicely though!

Glad I passed on them because I was going to order one myself. I thought the hex deluxe would be a nice guitar with the emg's, original floyd, flame maple top etc. and the price being under $700. I found a new Charvel USA SoCal that was blemished(small paint chip) for $699 and ordered that instead.

• Members

I've had a Patriot for almost 3 years now and it's my number one. A couple of months ago I slapped a set of BG Buckers in it and love it even more. I've been tempted to get another one, but the one I have covers the dual humbucker thing completely. Great guitar. Haven't had a chance to play any of the new models though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I thought my Patriot was QC'd very well. I just had to many LPs around and something had to go. Certainly wasn't gonna be the Gibsons. BUt the beck joint and balance was done very well. And I like the idea of Volume and Tone with Push-Pull pots for SC Tones?

Why {censored}ing Gibson doesn't do this is beyond me.

But they are coming around with the new 08. FINALLY adding a Tone-Pro's bridge 10YEARS AFTER EVERYONE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 8 years later...
  • Members

Ok so here's the deal. I've got an original Michael Kelly VEX Deluxe. Literally better than any Gibson's I've had. It stays in tune, sound wicked, has awesome clean tones, it's insanely light, its a through body guitar, and its PURDY. Anyway, they're most definitely worth the money. Mine was $1000 new. My advice, invest in an MK. You WON'T regret it.

• Members

I, like every other guitarist, collected heavily at one point. At that point, I had 28 M Kelly guitars on my wall, along with many other. But that statement alone should tell you what I thought of them. I am not famous or a human dynamo but I did respect the company enough to buy them hand over fist for awhile, until the economy dumped. Then 98% of my wall hangers had to be sold just to keep from losing my house.

Ironically, just last week I wrote MK and told them that I would be working on adding more of their nicely necked items to the collection again and that I respected them, their QC, and their management, for the slow, methodical releases that they do of each model. And that I really liked what they were doing and would they please also spend a little more time and money on some really HOT pups...? Their answers were all warm and positive, and the last part didn't get answered but I suspect that the higher up's did read it. ;)

• Members

Btw, if you haven't seen this, you should...it's a great idea and worthy of study by anyone that stands on stage for 5 hours a night, damaging their neck by hanging a 8.9lb dead weight on it! Until April 20th, 2017 you can invest in M Kelly on any level you want. I am going to, and no, I don't have any interest in seeing them succeed other than I have a very firm belief that American companies rock, regardless of where their gits are built!!!

https://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/...ralight-guitar

• Members

I have two MK guitars. My first is a 24-fret Patriot Premium quilt with EMG 81/85s, Grovers, an ebony fretboard, pearl inlays, and a full abalone binding. It's a beautiful guitar, and that's why I bought it. The fretboard plays like butter. I ordered this one from Amazon a little over 5 years ago. I was bummed that mine didn't have the 24th-fret inlay marker. Apparently the first run had them, then they stopped inlaying the marker on the 24th fret. No clue why. In my opinion, it took away from the overall look of the guitar.

My second MK is (also 24-fret) a Patriot Magnum, which has a licensed Floyd (some Magnum models didn't have a tremolo). It's obviously not near the guitar that the Premium is, but it is quite a bit lighter (thinner) and I play it occasionally for Drop D tunings. I got this one 2 years ago. I took it to my luthier and he had a hell of a time with the Floyd -- basically, the Floyd on it is crap. But, it's not really worth putting a real Floyd on it to me. He said it'd probably take at least one more setup to iron out all the kinks. It plays well enough though.

They're made in Korea and are very well made for the money. I gotta say the Premium is leaps and bounds above the Magnum. My advice is if you see one that you like and want new, like a new Patriot Instinct with Bare Knuckles, get it. They're often changing styles, colors, and features, which retires some models fairly quickly. They also run deals around Black Friday and Christmas at their website.

But, I wouldn't buy a MK thinking that you're going to resell it and make a bundle. You can buy MKs used from GC for under $250.

Archived