Can you polish a Nitrocellulose Lacquer finish ?

guitarchaz

• Members

All of my nitro finished guitars have dull spots from my arm. I haven't really tried many products, but the typical guitar polishes/cleaners/swirl removers do not work. Personally, I don't care.

I wouldn't take an orbital polisher to a $2000 guitar. Too many things can go wrong.

• Members

All of my nitro finished guitars have dull spots from my arm. I haven't really tried many products, but the typical guitar polishes/cleaners/swirl removers do not work. Personally, I don't care.

I've noticed this too on my nearly-new ES339. I can polish it all day, but there's always an area on the bass bout edge that's a little dull. I think it's awesome!

• Members

I've noticed this too on my nearly-new ES339. I can polish it all day, but there's always an area on the bass bout edge that's a little dull. I think it's awesome!

I do to. The necks on my nitro guitars are like that too. They feel like silk. I love it.

• Members

Roger that and a +1 on your mention of solvents on Nitro finishes. In other words, don't just grab anything to polish your Nitro guitar.

Some guitar stands can mar a Nitro finish because of the type of rubber/plastic used to pad them. Even an old Nitro finish can be marred by just a few hours sitting in such a stand.

So yes, Nitro never gets fully hard making anything more than light polishing a risky proposition.

• Members

Meguier's Light Scratch and Swirl Remover followed by their finish polish. You can get it at most auto parts stores.

Yup.

This can buff satin finish to gloss as well.

Use an old T-shirt, some elbow grease and alot of patience.

Archived