Any Other

blackscot

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

....No one wants to see a 50 year old who can't play worth S#$%.....

Well I would have some definite trepidation over trying to get back into it, after the better part of a lifetime being out. Those early days were pretty gratifying though. Maybe if I make it to retirement, I could find some kind-hearted folks as unskilled as myself.

• Members

Don't wait. Do it now. If you organize some players with similiar challenges it would work. Even if it's once a month. You can decide which songs to work on and practice those.

Don't put it off. Life is too short

• Members

No one wants to see a 50 year old who can't play worth S#$%

Work doesn't help either

+1

Once a year my wife makes me play with her relatives who are pretty decent. Needless to say I'm too stressed out to have any fun with it. Back to the home office I go till next year.

• Members

The music scene here dried up years ago.

I still play with some friend and former band buddies just to have the experience.

If you want to play somewhat regularly, join a church band.

There's typically no hassle if you can't play a certain week or miss a practice.

• Members

I'm a Lone Wolf player, but I always have an audience of one...my wife.

Same here but that got old for her and fast. ;)

Hey I resemble that statement! It 's too bad we all don't live closer to each other cause then we could all sound shi++y together.

• Members

So far I am a lone wolf guitarist, but I am trying to find a reliable jam partner.

The problem is I haven't found anybody yet who wants to learn even one simple key to play together. Its all like "hey lets just jam and randomly move around the neck". Which isn't the worst, but its nice to have some structure.

• Members

My story is pretty much like yours. I we used to do acoustic jams in my parents carport in Fl. when we were teenagers,mybrothers and some friends. One of them actually became a multi platinum bass player. I quit playing when I was raising a family. I started back about 5 years ago(I am 47 now and had to learn all over again) and never had anyone to jam with until now.

Last Oct., my wife and I moved to a new house and found out that my neighbor that is just slightly older than me has a full blown jam room in his house, p.a., drums, mixer, amps, the works. There are four to five of us that jam regularly and it is awesome. I couldn't have asked for a better situation, we all get along great. Now I have my own jam room set up and we use both.

HOUSEMAY08072.jpg

Is this your room or his?

• Members

Yet another wolfie...

Started about 12 and for many years played in catering halls. Got a chance to play with a top 40 band in my late 20's, but like all you guys, work and family took precedence.

Didn't play at all for a couple of decades then took it up again 12 yrs ago when my wife bought a guitar/amp package from Sams Club for Christmas.

Been playing steadily since, but don't know anyone else who'd like to work with a 60+ year old grumpy grandpa with consistently mediocre skills.

Alex

• Members

What actually got me started back into it was buying my son who was 13 at the time a squire strat. He never really got into it and I just picked it up one day and started trying to play again and never stopped from that point. This another pic of my jam room.

HOUSEMAY08075.jpg

• Members

I play 2 times a week in our church worship band. It's a great band, very edgy and we really push the envelope musically. I like that because it forces me to learn new styles and stay current with the next generation of guitarists and styles. I'm 46 and I consider it a privilege to play live twice a week.

I do play everyday either in my office (I'm the CEO so I can shut the door and go for it) or at home in my home office/studio. I keep telling my wife that it's cheaper than therapy... most of the time. I do gig out occasionally as folks in our community know that I play and I get invited to various venues from time to time. I do it for "the love of the game."

• Members

Never have jammed probably never will

Work doesn't help either

There may be some local workshops you can sign up for that cater to guys in your situation. Which is pretty much mine, by the way. I know they have it for younger types, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have it for older folks, too. I'd have enough energy for a once a week deal, I think.

• Members

I'm a lone wolf, too. I played for more than 10 years and played in a metal band for half of that until it imploded. I gave up shortly after that. That was 1994 or so. I recently picked up my guitars and started playing again. I didn't realize just how much I missed/enjoyed it. It only took a few weeks for my skills to come back. Now, I'm actually TRYING to learn what i should have a long time ago. I want to be better.

I'm at a point in my life - mid-30s - where playing in a band is just not going to happen. But I play at night, through my Line 6 TonePort and headphones, and thoroughly enjoy that so far.

Maybe when my kids grow up I might look for jam partners and join a bar band. Right now, it's all about re-discovery and learning for me when I even have the time.

Archived