Which roller bridge for my Les Paul?

Bob Doom

• Members

So, I've been curious about roller bridges for a while... but after breaking a string, right in the middle of a metallica cover, I'm more curious than ever...

The bridge on my LP seems to be snapping my A strings. I love the guitar to death, but it's pretty lame that every time a string snaps, it's at the bridge.

So, thus far, I've narrowed it down to these....

Schaller roller bridge

or, the cheaper...

Locking roller bridge

Ideally, I'd like to drop the new bridge directly onto the existing hardware, without having to drill any new holes into the body.

Any opinions/advice are greatly appreciated.

• Members

This is what I'm using on my Ibanez Artist LP style:

PICT0017.jpg

Seems difficult to intonate but once it's set-up I've not even broken

a single string on it and it's been on the guitar since....May, 2008.

Same set of strings as when I got the guitar!

I'm trying to see how long I can make it last but the sound gets

a bit dead after a while with the same set of strings on there.

Your mileage may vary!

So, I've been curious about roller bridges for a while... but after breaking a string, right in the middle of a metallica cover, I'm more curious than ever...

The bridge on my LP seems to be snapping my A strings. I love the guitar to death, but it's pretty lame that every time a string snaps, it's at the bridge.

So, thus far, I've narrowed it down to these....

Schaller roller bridge

or, the cheaper...

Locking roller bridge

Ideally, I'd like to drop the new bridge directly onto the existing hardware, without having to drill any new holes into the body.

Any opinions/advice are greatly appreciated.

• Members

Yeah, if its breaking strings at the saddle and its the same saddle than its got a problem and its probably just a sharp edge. Smooth it out, but DO NOT cut the slot deeper because it will screw up the action (assuming it was radius filed to begin with).

Now if you are really dead set on getting a roller bridge my friend got the locking one and was just completely head over heels with it. He put it on a Dean flying V so I can't comment on what it was made out of before, but he swears that the difference is night and day for the better. I've heard the guitar and as much as I can't stand those damn Dean V's, it was a frickin tone monster (put some new pickups in it as well, but I heard it before the new bridge and after with the same pickups).

Either way will fix the problem. I'd buy a new one if you want to change the sound.

Archived