Any creative ways to fix a broken pot shaft?

ashtray

• Members

Besides the obvious method of replacing it, what can I do to fix a broken pot that is attached to a PCB? Now, the pot itself isn't broken - but the shaft of the pot is. Nothing is sticking up to turn.

I had a couple ideas, but wasn't sure if they would work:

Drill a small hole into the top of the shaft and then insert a tiny screw glued in to the hole. Carefully turn the screw to adust the pot.

Solder (the area on top of the pot shaft is so small, this would be impossible) something on top of the broken shaft.

I'm trying to avoid touching the PCB, but will likely have to go that route - or pay someone to do it ($$$). :(

• Members

Heat up with a soldering iron, the tip of a sewing needle, and bond it to the end.

That's your new shaft.

How exactly would I bond it? I don't think it would just press in to the shaft, even hot. Am I back to drilling a hole? JB Weld?

Another idea I had was the dremel a slot in the shaft so I could turn it with a screwdriver (as I would do to a stripped screw head). The problem though is that the part that turns is flush with the surrounding threaded part of the shaft, so I'd have to cut both - and risk not being able to remove the pot in the future... or having a small burr in the cut prevent the pot from turning.

Strangely enough, I'd be happy enough not being able to turn it, if I just knew what position it was in currently! Or maybe just be able to set it to the middle and then not be able to use it.

• Members

How exactly would I bond it? I don't think it would just press in to the shaft, even hot. Am I back to drilling a hole?

If it's a cheap(zinc) needle, you can melt the things on a stove top, an iron will make it pliable enough at the tip to press on.

• Members

Just replace the pot......how much easier can it be? I mean, just replace the wires just as they were on the original.
:thu:

No wires. It's actually on my amp - the pot is connected directly to the PCB, and I fear soldering on that, screwing something up, and then essentially breaking the amp. :(

Right now the amp works, I just can't adjust the EQ controls. If they were flat, then I'd be ok - but I'm not convinced they are flat.

That all said, the amp doesn't sound "bad" at the moment, so maybe I'll just leave it as the mystery setting and not mess with it! :)

• Members

If you are not worried about fixing it, take a pencil with a new eraser and using dowward force, spin the pot where you want it and leave it.

Or, a dab od JB weld on the head of a nail. Use a styrofoam cup to hold it in place till it cures. Bend the nail 90 degreees.

Sloting it isn't a bad idea either. It, you want to set it and go, it doesn't need to be cut very deep.

You are right in that it might not be worth it to fix it.

• Members

I dunno.....I'd try to fix it first...if that didn't work, then I'd replace it. But then, I have more time than money:)

If the pot shaft is aluminum....

a small..new (read:sharp) drill bit in a hand vise will drill a hole allowing you to superglue (carefully!) a screw in...you're idea and it's a good one.

If the shaft is brass....I think you may be {censored}ed....

Either way I would use a pin vise and drill by hand....assuring you will not generate enough heat to cook the pot...a possibility if you use a power tool of somekind.

Barring all that....mouser.com per our man DCinDC.

Archived